Bobpbx says "Someone Snatched The Nash"

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
Bob and Scott:

I am not certain, but that piece of equipment looks more like a fire starter than an extinguisher. You would pour the flammable liquid in through the hatch and a flexible pipe attached to the nipple projecting from the top of the can. Perhaps one of our fire-fighting members can weigh in with their knowledge.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

I'm in the fire service, but never saw something like that before. I'll venture a guess and say it's one of those cans the forest fire service guys use to start a back fire??

similar

fig243-5x.jpg

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
The top had a barbed fitting for accepting 1/4" dia hose and the 1" dia fitting extending into the tank, could have held a pump.
The barbed fitting tee'd into the 1" dia tubing extending from the top.
The tank door was not sealable and would nopt have been air or water tight.
I think the canister was a reservoir for fluid and the pump lifted and discharged through the 1/4" tubing..
Could have been a drip torch for starting fires but the handles would have made it unwieldy to carry.
Could be yet another Henway.

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
piece of equipment

I have used a piece of equipment like that to spray warm water on walls to losen wallpaper for removal. It was from the 50's, there was a red pump handle, T type, and a black hose with a nozzle, that was directed to the wall. It was messy but it worked.

Tony Repice

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Sorry folks,
Based on this morning's revelation, I am going to have to go with the gear oil device. Toss out my original idea as well. My memory of my dad's pump was a little hazy but yes, it was a unit made to sit on top of an uncapped five gallon bucket and dispense. In the old days we didn't get our gear oil in five gallon buckets so you did the slow pour. On speaking to my dad this eve' whence I stopped over to take the pics, I didn't even finish my description before he finished it for me with the details of the handles and having used the darn thing. Think of it this way, nothing you would use this for pumps quickly so it was a slow dispense device.
Look at my dad's
OILER_2.JPG

OILER_1.JPG

Now...
Look at Scott's find
IMG_3076_Large_.JPG

Close enough for the seperation of 50 years of so of design?
Whatever it turns out to be, I hope you brought it home. I would of, with yet another "look" from my wife. But this stuff is cool. You found a keeper given the condition it's in. That said, if anyone finds this one wrong, please feel free to present, but I think I got this one.

g.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I am not onboard with that yet George. Why on earth would someone lug that out to a hunting cabin deep in the pine plains?

As to the pesticide sprayer, I'll bet they had trouble with pests out there.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
George,
I only doubt the oil dispenser idea because the inside was spotless.
I would think there would be a residue or at least staining if it was used for oil.
We did not bring it back with us because we just got started on the hike and we had a few miles to go.
The lack of a pressure tight seal on the filler hole eliminates the pressure tank sprayer idea, although it could have been a one pump, one spray, dispenser of some sort.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
George,
I only doubt the oil dispenser idea because the inside was spotless.
I would think there would be a residue or at least staining if it was used for oil.The lack of a pressure tight seal on the filler hole eliminates the pressure tank sprayer idea, although it could have been a one pump, one spray, dispenser of some sort.

Not bad on the residue call. The years would have needed to be very hard yes to remove oil. Never know, weather doth funny things and I've seen an oil container or two pretty dry along the way. So Going back to my
dry Chem thought but yeah, a decent seal would be a staple one would think.
Damn you Scott!

Bob,
Why would anyone lug a 1/3 of the crap you find out in the pines?
Discard is not a new concept.

g.

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
Anyone know what kind of truck that is? I was thinking mid 70's Dodge but not sure. The front looks so familiar but I can't put my finger on it. It's driving me crazy. Love to figure out the date of old cars and trucks like that.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Scott said it was a Dodge, and I would have to agree. It is Mopar looking. We found the Vin location but between the fires and other factors I could not get any usable info.

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Anyone know what kind of truck that is? I was thinking mid 70's Dodge but not sure. The front looks so familiar but I can't put my finger on it. It's driving me crazy. Love to figure out the date of old cars and trucks like that.

A 1976 Dodge is the best guess so far for me.

http://www.tntclassiccars.com/100_0244.jpg

I looked at Google and Yahoo images from 85 and back to 70.
The grille on the truck that we found was heavy painted steel and was serving as a structural component in the front end.
I couldn't find any images with that grille but the 76 looks the closest for the body shape and the firewall vents under the wipers are the same.

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
A 1976 Dodge is the best guess so far for me.

http://www.tntclassiccars.com/100_0244.jpg

I looked at Google and Yahoo images from 85 and back to 70.
The grille on the truck that we found was heavy painted steel and was serving as a structural component in the front end.
I couldn't find any images with that grille but the 76 looks the closest for the body shape and the firewall vents under the wipers are the same.

That looks about right. Wonder how the cab ended up in the woods like that? The forest fire service used Dodge trucks for a long time.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
When I saw the truck picture I thought International Harvester. My buddy had a Scout and the grill looks the same.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
That looks about right. Wonder how the cab ended up in the woods like that?

I can show you a yard full of trailors to answer that from better trucks than that thing.
My dad's got 'em from the 40's on up and we used to make trailors of old pickups like poppin' out biscuits to sell. After the motor's done, cut the front out from under and scrap (or weld the front solid for yet another trailor)
Pop of the cab, easy enough. Having left a few feet of frame rail in front, notch, vee it, weld in a tongue for mounting, leave the bed on if you wish or make it down to a flat bed. But you can't make you a better, faster, cheaper, and stronger trailor. (The coil spring trucks not quite as nice a result, leaf spring more better) Still got a wiring harness in it for lights ol' Hoss.
We made 'em from a little datsun and a chevy luv (same truck really) all the way up to one ton trucks and a couple big ones from the fronts of a GMC Astro and an old Brockway. What you got there is the leavin's of a vehicle that's been made a trailor of. I'm lookin' but man the I/H thing is possible.

Perhaps I'll have better luck than with the can, although I think the jury's still out on that one.

g.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I am shocked the truck cab is not full of shotgun shot holes. What shape was the nash in? Was it restoreable? That is a hot car with the street rod guys and that car restored would have a great story behind it. I think that truck is a dodge.