Bog Iron Ore Beds

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Yes you are correct. The 10 miles to Batsto was throwing me off. Yes there are beds south of Constble Bridge. Trying to take this map and convert it to known locations is my type of puzzle.

It's about 10 miles between Atsion and Batsto, so I'm thinking "10 miles to Batsto" is referring to the length of the road between the two.

So what's the deal with the building near the kiln that appears to have a cross on it?

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I figured the 10 miles was referring to the distance between Atsion and Batsto but I was thinking we were looking at a larger section of the map. If that actually is Constable Bridge then that puts the lime kiln in closer proximity to its actual location at least in my mind. I was thinking that could a grave or cemetery. The gravel "hill?" Could be another good landmark to use. I could compare different maps for days. This particular one intrigues me.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I also find it interesting that the Nescochague is also called the Forge Stream. Was Batstos forge on the Nescochague? Also the pond on Mirey Run seems to be between that and the Sleeper. I can't think of where that would be unless we may be mixing up the names.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Yeah, Batsto Forge was on the Nescochague just a bit upstream from the Pleasant Mills Church. Mirey Run feeds into the Sleeper. The pond depicted was created when Joseph Ball dammed the Sleeper.

Reactions: smoke_jumper

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I had not looked at the map since I posted it and had Quaker Bridge in my head. In any event, don't spend too much time thinking about these locations as most old maps not made by surveyors are usually quite inaccurate.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I had not looked at the map since I posted it and had Quaker Bridge in my head. In any event, don't spend too much time thinking about these locations as most old maps not made by surveyors are usually quite inaccurate.
Yea. I'm not losing any sleep over it. I know that any map that is not done by a surveyor is very inaccurate but to me the fun is in the interpretation. Surveyor maps usually lack any personal feeling but get the job done. Maps like this one puts more on specific locations. Kind of like an old treasure map. Every point on that map had some significance to the illustrator. Just identiifying the areas the he was depicting is the fun part for me. Similar to studying old nautical charts where shoals and even islands disappear over time.

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
The bridge is "Stone Bridge". The "10 miles to Batsto" is on a line connecting Atsion to that place.

upload_2016-7-29_23-27-28.png

Rich

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
And for those who don't know the stone bridge is the old bridge on Quaker Bridge Road at the bog.

Thanks for clarifying it Rich.