Bone Dry II: The Sequel (No 1/4 Mile References)

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I too was out and about in the big woods this past weekend doing a little bow hunting on Saturday and some dog running on Sunday. The camera was in hand both days.
I lost my bow release on Saturday, so if anyone finds one anywhere in NJ, it's mine.

The first area is located in an area explored by PBX last year and a place that I love to revisit over and over. I don't know why because I have yet to kill a deer or duck there but it still calls to me.
It's very remote and holds, or did hold, a neat, isolated several acre pond. Last year my son and I built a natural duck blind there in late season but never hunted it. We needed chest waders at the time to negotiate the pond bottom.

Here is what I found. The Pond, minus 3 1/2' of water.

claw.jpg

The bottom was baked and the lillies were hanging on for dear life.

lily1.jpg

I walked a good ways north to a major stream crossing that we negotiated last year and one that Guy had videoed. It was obvious that now is the time to make some reapirs. Only about a foot of water where we had 4 ' of rushing water flowing over the bridge surface last year.

bloody.jpg

On Sunday we did a 4 mile hike through the first area looking for the ghosts of deer past and then hit the former ACE Campground with the dogs late in the afternoon.
They were itching for a swim and we were lucky to find water in the lake. Ace Was the Place.

ace2.jpg

Here is the nearly fully grown Murph man scoping things out.

murph1.jpg

And finally, Murh and Hank sharing a retrieve.

share.jpg

The woods are dry and the groundwater table has dropped to a very low level in the pines. It is amazing to see this, given the wet winter and spring that we had and with all of the flooding throughout the woods that we witnessed earlier this year.

I suppose I owe Mark royalties for using the Bone Dry title.
:)

Scott

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
that lake looks sorta familiar and if its the one im thinking of its really low , i really cant beleive how dry everything is no matter where you go , we need some serious rain

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Lets do some math-Same amount of ducks+50% less surface water area= you need more ammo! BTW: How about them 1st place Phillies:dance:

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Wow! That's parched. Like me. Time for a Nectar IPA (a damn good beer, I might add). How bout we get together for a Phillies playoff game or two this year, fellows?

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Ground water tables in the pines are not really that bad off.

Maybe it's because the last data input date was July 8.
Scroll toward the bottom and it gives you the last data input date.

http://groundwaterwatch.usgs.gov/AWLSites.asp?ncd=njn&S=394106074362501

The above data is for the Mount observation well which is the closest to where I was last weekend.
Atsion's last input date was July 6.

My own observations of irrigation ponds in the local area, which are dug into the groundwater table, tell me groundwater levels have dropped at least 4 feet from their norm.

As Bob Dylan once said, " You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows."

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
From Saturday, down to the last bit of water in the pines. If you can tell me exactly where this is, you get 7 points.

IMG_5573.jpg

PS: I'm not so sure that this is a dire situation here. There was something very unique about this past winter/spring, snow 3 times in a row with rain on top. It may have done something to the strata on the way to the aquifer that made it temporarilly more porous.....and all the water is in the main aquifer? Just a thought.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I've hunted and hiked a swampy area in Winslow for years. When I first started hunting the swamp was pretty well dried up, this is goiing back 20 years or so. Then we had a few wet years and I had to move my blind because of 2-3 feet of water. It's went from dry to wet and back to dry 3 or 4 times since and is presently dry, but I've seen it dryer. The lakes I fish are just a little low this year, but not as low as they have been in the past. It seems like the wet-dry conditions sort of run in cycles.
Greg

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
From Saturday, down to the last bit of water in the pines. If you can tell me exactly where this is, you get 7 points.

IMG_5573.jpg

PS: I'm not so sure that this is a dire situation here. There was something very unique about this past winter/spring, snow 3 times in a row with rain on top. It may have done something to the strata on the way to the aquifer that made it temporarilly more porous.....and all the water is in the main aquifer? Just a thought.

Is that spot in Wharton, Bob? If so, I think I might know where it is. Anyhow, how would all the snow and rain make the sands more porous, eh?

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
I'm going to take a guess at this. With as much precipitation we had melt and soak in to the ground over a short period of time, alot of it made it down further than usual compared to just evaporating. With the water going down further than usual it probably broke through layers that were hardened up over time allowing the ground to be more absorat than recent years. I'm curious if I'm right.

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ

IMG_5573.jpg

I'm just going for the 7 points here. Is that down Rockwood Road? Not sure how to show a point on a map.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I'm going to take a guess at this. With as much precipitation we had melt and soak in to the ground over a short period of time, alot of it made it down further than usual compared to just evaporating. With the water going down further than usual it probably broke through layers that were hardened up over time allowing the ground to be more absorat than recent years. I'm curious if I'm right.

Dave, that is not my theory, but since we are both out of our league on this, your guess is as good as mine. My supposition is that the hydraulic flushing action of all that rain and water weight may have driven all the normal stuff found in between the sand particles (crushed leaves, twigs, insect bodies, etc.) either further down or into the streams, making the ground more porous for awhile.

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
I agree , there's a pit behind me and I always walk the dog there , there's water holes that haven't been dry in 10 years and now it's a dust bowl , but other certain areas that held water with a somewhat solid base are also dry now but nasty thick marsh type mud now , like the ground just soaked up all the water , it's jsut kind odd to me