Books I got!!

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I went to an inside yard sale about three weeks ago in Chatsworth. In was an older home. Anyway, I got a bunch of stuff including these books. these are new to my collection:

the Story of The Four Mile Colony
watermark.php

The Plants of Southern NJ
watermark.php

Pinelands Folklife:
watermark.php

The Historic County of Burlington
watermark.php

The Pine Barrrens: a preliminary Ecological Inventory
watermark.php

A Home in the Pines
watermark.php

Escape from the Pines
watermark.php

the person having the yard sale was cousins with the author of the later book. I got other books also, not directly pinebarrens related. It seems that these books came from the estate of Russell L. Dunfree, Sr. I don't know if his name is connected with any Pinebarrens related history.

So how much did I pay for these books? Like $4 or $5. Not too shabby eh>

Jeff

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Jeff,

That is a great find, especially the Plants of Southern NJ. It is probably the 1973 reprint, right? That is about $150 now. If you had the 1910 version it would be around $300. And they sell very easily.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I also found copies of the Pinelands Folklife and the Ecological Inventory books a few years ago - but you got a better deal! I'm sure you will enjoy them as I have.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jeff,

Some great acquisitions! I have the Burlington County book and the Pineland's Folklife. I just dug them out and found all my old newspaper clippings about the pines from the 70's. I will scan some of them up and post them. The Burlington book was published in 1973 just as I was starting my adventures in the pines. My mom ordered it for me from the Burlington County Cultural and Heritage Commission.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Jeff,

That is a great find, especially the Plants of Southern NJ. It is probably the 1973 reprint, right? That is about $150 now. If you had the 1910 version it would be around $300. And they sell very easily.

Yes it is the 1973 printing. It also had an newpaper article that was ripped out and folded in it. It is from March 2nd, 1980 about the trains in the pines. I haven't read it yet.

I wonder how much The Story of the Four Mile Colony is going for? Not that I plan on selling any of these.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
$78 here for a First Edition. Its out of print. Hold on to it.

Who wrote "A home in the Pines" Jeff? What is the date? What is the backdrop of the story?

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&tn=The+Story+of+the+Four+Mile+Colony&x=59&y=20

Thanks for the info Bob.

A Home in the Pines was written by Elizabeth Woodford (of Medford Woodford Wildlife Refuge fame). in 1975. It is a 32 page pamphlet. It is designed to educate people who have recently moved to the pine barrens on native plant species and encourage them to augment their property with native plants. It also warns against planting non-native species. Several popular plants and trees are discussed. The text is accurate, informative and sparse enough to not discourage those with a passing interest. It is a shame the photographs are in black and white.

Jeff

Jeff:

You really stumbled into a great collection of books! I love finding deals like yours in Chatsworth. The Four Mile Colony volume is in absolutely beautiful condition, based on its coverboards. The Lloyd Griscom piece on Burlington County is nice summary history of the county, but don’t put a lot of stock in what he wrote. I knew Lloyd well and he and I were both aware of his limitations when it came to local history and we discussed it several times.

I hope you enjoy the reads!!

Best regards,
Jerseyman