Botany

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bobpbx -- thanks so much for the ID on the flower from Lizard Tail Swamp. We were stumped on that one!!

You are very welcome! If others would like to see it, look on the southwestern side of the Chatsworth dam over 532 (in the grassy area near the road to Parker Preserve).

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
IMG_3607a.jpg

gentiana autumnalis

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I only saw this one Bob. I did not spend a massive amount of time there but the damage must be done.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I came across a small section of grassy field today that had several dozen Gentians in bloom. I noticed many of the flowers had four petals. Is there a range in the number of petals that a Gentian will have or did I see a quirky trait from a small gene pool?

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Howdy Gibby:
There was an excellent presentation at the PPA in August about various aspects of the Pine Barrens Gentian, given by a PhD candidate , Ryan Rebozo. Among the surprising (at least to me) things he mentioned was that the number of petals can vary from, I believe, 3 thru 5. Ryan said that this characteristic, along with color variations, seems to persist in individual plants. He's been monitoring several populations, with individual plants identified with metal tags in the ground. Even more amazing, Bryan said the flower blooms as a male, then after dispensing pollen, morphs into a female form and receives pollen with which to fertilize its nascent embryo. I'd never heard about that happening in any plant. Today Mark S. told me other plants, such as Aster species, also do this. Along with learning about plants with underground/underwater flowers, I'm learning that plants are literally wonderful.

Reactions: glowordz and Gibby
Thank Oji,

I love it here, a little scary at night, but three acres of mostly pristine untouched pineland, with several nice populations of Chimaphila maculata and Pink Lady's Slipper. I counted 20 so far. Unfortunately tho' there is developments on 2 sides of me. So many species of birds, frogs, I have towhees and whippoorwills which I haven't had since I was a kid 35+ years ago, I will post some pictures soon.

Lynn Cremona

Feb 9, 2016
Neptune
Slender Rattlesnakeroot (Prenanthes autumnalis)

Attachments

• Slender Rattlesnakeroot (Prenanthes autumnalis) 2.JPG
    Slender Rattlesnakeroot (Prenanthes autumnalis) 2.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 151
  • Slender Rattlesnakeroot (Prenanthes autumnalis) leaves 1.JPG
    Slender Rattlesnakeroot (Prenanthes autumnalis) leaves 1.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 193
  • Slender Rattlesnakeroot (Prenanthes autumnalis) bracts 1.JPG
    Slender Rattlesnakeroot (Prenanthes autumnalis) bracts 1.JPG
    957.9 KB · Views: 192
Reactions: Teegate and Boyd