Boyd's Hotel, Back to Black's Bridge

Oct 25, 2006
I needed to go back to the area i was at Saturday to check some things out topographically, visually, and for gps coordinates, we also went to other various places as an added bonus to the day. Car touring only again, some stops on nice wide sandy roads for relievement.

We first went to the site of Boyd's Hotel, or Plattes place, taking the way in from rt.539 north, from rt.70 north, the road is really getting overgrown to the site, grass growing wild in the middle of the road, went to the site, looked around visually in the car, decided against going out and walking to the Ft. Dix. property line, winter will be the time to do this.

Proceeded south on rt.539 from site to just below Webb's Mill Branch, to take road to Aserdaten, road fine except for one rutted stretch, had to keep left tire in left rut, right tire on middle hump, no problem.

Proceeded to gun club, visually scanning the surrounding area, went to the bridge area doing likewise, went out past swamp area also doing the same, great scenery, down to Aserdaten area, then out to old fire tower road west to rt.539.

Decided against turning back onto rt.539 south, went west past large grassy area on north bound side, traffic on rt.539 heavy, wanted to go this way to Sooy road.

Went to the road that takes you to Red Oak Grove and Woodmansie, turning left on Lauries road, decided also against going to hidden lakes, port a pot on Lauries rd. completely collapsed, then out across rt.72 to Sooy road.

Took Sooy road down to road that goes to Spring Hill, my friend has never been there, stayed five minutes viewing Bear Swamp Hill, did not stay longer, did not like the truck full of people at the top, did not know what they were doing, did not want to know really, it seemed a little odd.

Showed him where i went in the swampy area in March to find the landing gear, said that he wanted to see it this Winter, i will oblige him. Then off to home, no beer stop today.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=39.78365&lon=-74.46091&size=m&u=4&datum=nad27&layer=DRG

Oops, fogot to mention this, now remember, i used to have a 4 wheel drive, so i am not anti, i would love to have another one, why this was done is beyond me. Fun, or intent to harm. Some immature idiot dug a 2 foot or better set of ruts where you stop at the intersection, you are just about in it when you can see it, sugar sand plus, you cannot see this, believe me, be careful coming here. If it was dark no telling what would have happened.
Do these type of people realize there could be small children in the car.
Or do they feel they have eminent domain to the pinelands, trying to deter other people from enjoying them.

This was a very informative and rewarding trip today, had a real good time in the pines.

For all, roads in great shape in all areas, some sugar sand, very small puddles.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=39.78365&lon=-74.46091&size=m&u=4&datum=nad27&layer=DRG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We walked from Boyds to the Ft. Dix line and Bob found an interesting stone right there along the road. I had walked right by it :(

An interesting area. Right near there is the shooting range which I believe is for the township. And Bob had a really really nice map that showed various ruins all around that area. We visited one right near Boyds that had a terra cotta chimney pipe that said St. Mary's PA on it.

I wrote the Chamber of Commerce who contacted the Historical Society, and they sent me info on the company that made the pipe years ago. They actually sent me original paper info from the place. Not a copy. Cost me $5.

Chimney_Pipe.JPG

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Steve, had to get away from the city heat, nice air conditioned car, and of course the pines.

Guy, the maps you guys procure to this day amaze me, this definitely stokes my interest even more to explore the Boyd's Hotel site area and environs. Winter though, no bugs.

A question?

Who owns the property on both sides of sooy road in the spring hill area?
Loads of red no trespassing signs.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks Steve, had to get away from the city heat, nice air conditioned car, and of course the pines.

Guy, the maps you guys procure to this day amaze me, this definitely stokes my interest even more to explore the Boyd's Hotel site area and environs. Winter though, no bugs.

A question?

Who owns the property on both sides of sooy road in the spring hill area?
Loads of red no trespassing signs.

Haines owns it. They surveyed it in recent times.

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
Photo Gallery

:) In the photo gallery i have posted nine pics of an outing i had a few weeks back, first time i ever posted photos, critcisms are definitely welcome.

Oct 25, 2006
Pretty nice start James. Is number 5 the Chamberlin Branch, looking downstream from Blacks Bridge?

You are 100% correct, i do not know what happened with that pic. Camera was an Oregon Scientific 1.2 mb digital pocket sized camera.

Oct 25, 2006
I really like the Boyds Hotel area. Would be nice if it hadn't been destroyed archaeologically.

When winter arrives i intend to explore that area thoroughly. Besides Boyd's Hotel site, it is a shame that there are so many places like furnaces that are covered up, but it is a good thing i guess because of vandalism, also the old taverns that are just depicted by a sign, but it sure would be great to see them as they were.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
:bang: :mad: :cry: Another historic site purchased by private interests, there goes the foot exploration in winter.

Well, define "historic."

It was a stage coach stop. Beyond that, what else happened there? The building itself is long gone - and like many buildings of that era in that location, probably wasn't a prime example of period architecture.

I'm sure you could probably find "cool stuff" if you dug around, but beyond that, what else is there to learn from the site?

Oct 25, 2006
Well, define "historic."

It was a stage coach stop. Beyond that, what else happened there? The building itself is long gone - and like many buildings of that era in that location, probably wasn't a prime example of period architecture.

I'm sure you could probably find "cool stuff" if you dug around, but beyond that, what else is there to learn from the site?

To me, anything pre 1900 is considered to be of historic interest, but if the architecture is the prime ingredient for something being historic, than you are correct.