Brave hunters

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
Foofoo, are you CooCoo? Have you ever been to Denali? Do you think it is tame, like, say Disneyland? Are you saying Denali is not wild? Do you realize Mt. McKinley is 70 miles from the front gate?
BOB- there is a program on one of the discovery channels all about DENALI. its on about once a week.i havent been to ALASKA but will do soon. i do know a few who live there though. now for the real eye opener! i know you probably paid a ton of dough to go see what the travel agents call wild ALASKA. DENALI is wild but has limited access and the bus tours go through the same areas. bears and other critters may congrigate and get use to people by association. going to DENALI is different than a drop off BY PLANE wilderness hunt. you are hundreds of miles from anything. 70 miles is nothing in wilderness terms but being from new joisey i can see how you feel. where i hunt in maine its 60 miles to my spots in the woods. this is from the main lodge which is located in the woods if you can imagine.

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
FYI, foofoo, I don't think that anyone's who's voiced an opinion in this thread is anti-hunting.
are you kidding. did you read the title of the thread. you see most hunters are taught not to be outspoken. thats why you never really get arguements from hunters. these hunters didnt need the shameless crap. they did what was right and the GREAT STATE OF ALASKA AGREED! why do anti or some non hunters feel that us hunters get off from killing? that is the last thing. pulling the trigger takes a split second. its the whole process and respect for taking that life and feeding my family . i think we as a people in the northeast have become distant from the good earth. thats o.k. i love my satellite t.v. but my spirit says i need more. fishing and hunting is in our souls. planting food for crops is only 3% of our human existance. now let me go back to my 900 channels of nothingness

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
are you kidding. did you read the title of the thread. you see most hunters are taught not to be outspoken.

There's no point in being outspoken in a pissing match-which is what most pro/anti-hunting arguments are. The 10% of people who are "anti" enough to be heard simply don't matter in the grand scheme of things. Just to clarify, Pinelandpaddler and Bob are not in that 10%. They are not anti-hunters either. And while we're at it-neither I am for crissakes!

i think we as a people in the northeast have become distant from the good earth.

There isn't one person on this board, hunter or not who isn't nice and in tune with the earth. I really detest the whole "elitist Northeasterner wussy boy" crap that Southerners and Midwesterners tend to spew. I'm a Yankee and damn proud and I ain't talking about some baseball team.

thats o.k. i love my satellite t.v. but my spirit says i need more. fishing and hunting is in our souls.

What about OLN? :D

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
There isn't one person on this board, hunter or not who isn't nice and in tune with the earth. I really detest the whole "elitist Northeasterner wussy boy" crap that Southerners and Midwesterners tend to spew. I'm a Yankee and damn proud and I ain't talking about some baseball team.

Yessir! You said it!

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
BOB-...i havent been to ALASKA but will do soon...i know you probably paid a ton of dough to go see what the travel agents call wild ALASKA.....70 miles is nothing in wilderness terms but being from new joisey i can see how you feel.

I'll tell you what Foo, when you go, I'll be your guide. I was not just in Denali, I was from Fairbanks, to Eagle, to Valdez, and back to the Yukon River.

I was hiking in the Northeast:

HIKEMED.JPG

Fishing in the wilderness on a fly in trip far West of Fairbanks just south of the Yukon:

FISHMED.JPG

The guy who flew us in had boats stashed in the wilderness on Mintos Flats:

FISHTRIP2MED.JPG

I had time to leave the "tour bus" you speak of and climb up 8,000 feet in Denali:

SLIDEMED.JPG

My driving rig at the Yukon River. 4 wheel drive ford van:

YUKONMED.JPG

Really getting up there now:

ACMED.JPG

And up in the White Mountains by Eagle in a very lonely spot, I had my "bear gun". Don't worry, I'll bring it to protect you too:

WHITEMED.JPG

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
FooFoo, I don't hunt but the whole feeding my family thing I never understand. I really don't think the average hunters family is sitting at home starving while pops is out in the woods looking for food. And if pops doesn't kill something the family is going to be in grave danger of starvation. I'm sure scenario's exist like this in remote,poorer areas, but around here I kind of find that notion odd. A guy I play poker with told me that once and his wife is about a duece and a half, she could use a few less venison burgers, not to mention the guy drives a 30,000 dollar ford truck. Also, maybe alot of the hunters I know aren't in it for the right reason's but I'm pretty sure the reason they hunt is for the sport of it, and they do get some satisfaction out of the kill. But I reiterate I don't have a problem with hunters I prefer them much more then some anti-hunter who will clear cut a forest to build a mansion and think he isn't killing tons of crap in the process.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Bob, awesome pictures it reminds me of that show on pbs where the old guy goes up and lives in alaska. The fourth shot looks like the same area.

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
FooFoo, I don't hunt but the whole feeding my family thing I never understand. I really don't think the average hunters family is sitting at home starving while pops is out in the woods looking for food.

Let's put it this way. No one NEEDS to hunt to feed their family, but in order to feed one's family, an animal gets killed either way in most cases. It's very satisfying to spend a crisp morning in the woods and cap off the day by taking home some really excellent meat. Have you ever had a good venison steak or venison sausage, etc...? Pound for pound, a properly butchered and stored deer can feed a family quite well for quite a while.

A guy I play poker with told me that once and his wife is about a duece and a half, she could use a few less venison burgers

Actually, she could probably use more. Venison (as is most game meat) is much leaner and lower in cholesterol than beef. In fact most people find venison burgers too dry because they don't have much fat (like buffalo), but if you cook them medium rare and put a little BBQ sauce on them they're pretty tasty.

Also, maybe alot of the hunters I know aren't in it for the right reason's but I'm pretty sure the reason they hunt is for the sport of it, and they do get some satisfaction out of the kill.

To say that there is no "rush" or excitement when a 10 point buck walks in front of you would be an out and out lie. It would also be an out and out lie to say that dragging a deer out of the woods that will soon become dinner doesn't leave one with a great sense of accomplishment and pride. Hunting is as much work as it is fun and enjoyment. Seeing that pay off in good eating and a nice pair of antlers on the wall is very satisfying.

But I reiterate I don't have a problem with hunters I prefer them much more then some anti-hunter who will clear cut a forest to build a mansion and think he isn't killing tons of crap in the process.

Amen brother.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I actually had my first venison burger last summer, was very good and tasty. I hear what your saying, most things in order to be good at it, is much more work then pleasure. But normally that reward is worth all the work, so I understand what your saying.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
dragoncjo said:
Bob, awesome pictures it reminds me of that show on pbs where the old guy goes up and lives in alaska.

I just watched that movie for the first time on Friday night. Now that guy was the real deal - a true outdoorsman and a jack of all wilderness trades. Come to think of it, there was a scene which reminded me of this very thread where he sat and contently observed a family of bears. He noted that his loneliness disappeared upon being in their company. I'm sure he would gag at the thought of people killing these creatures for the sheer thrill of it (like the guys in the youtube video).

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thanks all. I had the greatest time ever exploring Alaska. One of my fondest memories is stopping at the top of the divide in the Wrangell Mountains on the way back to Fairbanks from Valdez. There was a lake at the top, next to the highway but hidden behind a rock wall. It was 11 PM but still light out. We caught 3 large rainbow trout in 3 minutes and fried them up with breadcrumbs and spices. Yum! Sitting there in front of the tent with the sun going down was really, really nice.

I’ll post a few more after a bit. I never really get to show them to people since it was prior to digital.

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
i walk the talk.i feed my family with game when i can. i DONT survive on it. i havent purchased beef in years but i eat chicken ,tuna, and turkey. i chose not to harvest a deer this year so im not so kill happy am i? i spent some 30 days hunting and passed on several deer. i honestly havent met a hunter that has ever said to me that the killing is what there in it for.you must have hunters confused with the jeffrey dahlmer types. the kinda person that rips wings off bugs and sticks fire crackers in the mouths of frogs. BOB, i wont need a guide but thanks anyway. i know how to use a compass and will be dropped off on the tundra hundreds of miles from the tourist spots. also i wont be going during those sunny warm june, july months either. its gotta be snowing.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
foofoo, no one has doubted that your a tough woodsman, but that is neither here nor there. The people in the video simply had no respect for bears, and their "hunt" just isn't justifiable.