Brenden Byrne State Forest

JerseyJim

Explorer
Aug 17, 2003
Delaware County Pa.
Hello everyone,
I passed by Brenden Byrne State Forest last night (late last night) and I was wondering if there was anything worth exploring in there? Does anyone know of any possible towns that may have been at one time?
Jersey Jim

B

bach2yoga

Brendan Byrne was formerly known as Lebanon State Forest...

JerseyJim

Explorer
Aug 17, 2003
Delaware County Pa.
Hey, Ben is right, Google is my friend, I just did some real quick research and it turns out that in 1851 the Lebanon Glass works was established. They closed in 1867, but futher research tells me that there was a factory and 20 houses there. I will be digging deeper to see what else I can find. Maybe a possible outing?
Jersey Jim

JerseyJim

Explorer
Aug 17, 2003
Delaware County Pa.
Renee,
I knew the old name as I used to live around 12 miles east of there. It is one of those places that you know is there but you don't think about till you drive by it. So last night when I drove on by, it set bells off in my head. Hey thanks for responding so fast to my posting. Do you think anyone would want to go there one day and look around?
Jersey Jim

B

bach2yoga

Of course!!!! I'm always up for an explore! Count me in!
Renee

ANNM

Dec 3, 2003
Jersey Jim,
Where did you grow up? My husband (BobM) and I both grew up across the street from Lebanon State Forest........In Presidential Lakes.....during the 70's...were you near there then?
Ann

JerseyJim

Explorer
Aug 17, 2003
Delaware County Pa.
Ann,
I bought a house in Whiting just after I was married in 1991, I sold the house in 2002 after my divorce. In the 1970's I lived in Hudson County with my parents, I was still a young child in the 70's as I was only born in 1966. :D
Jim

ANNM

Dec 3, 2003
Jersey Jim,
Well if you weren't our neighbor then, you sure were when you lived in Whiting...We live in Bamber.....right down the street from Whiting
Ann

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
There's plenty of places to explore in Lebanon State Forest.

Lebanon Glassworks has mostly been paved over. There's a few bricks and stuff scattered around, but nothing like how Beck found the area.

Mary Ann Forge is a nice place to visit. Lots of slag around, but no real evidence of where the forge/furnace was, except for some old rotting timbers where there once was a bridge.

Buckingham is nearby, but there's a house that's occupied by someone who doesn't want visitors.

There's the State Gravel Pit and the Cedar Research Area as well.

Finally there are some abandoned cranberry bogs at Reeves Bogs.

Also, the Brooksbrae Factory is located in Lebanon State Forest as well.

B

bach2yoga

I've not been to Mary Ann, and the other areas, Reeves, the gravel pit and the cedar research area all sound like good explores.
I've been to Brooksbrae, I want to know where the REAL Pasadena is. Will the real Pasadena please stand up?
Renee

diggersw

Scout
Dec 4, 2003
Freehold Area
Visit site
In regards to the REAL Pasadena, there is none. The only portions of the development that sold lots are located in the wildlife management area, not the State forest. Pasadena was a development, not a Terra Cotta Company. Beck's information was confused. The terra cotta operation to which he refers was actually a drain-pipe factory owned by the Townsend Family of Atlantic County. This operation was later named the Wheatland Clay Manufacturing Company. When the company's owner died, the remainder of the corporation tried to use the land for a development, which they named Pasadena. If you are looking for the remains of the terra cotta factory, they are located near the tree farm, where buckingham road crosses the railroad tracks. The factory was at that intersection and one of its kilns still exists in the front yard of a hunting club.

B

bach2yoga

ANNM said:
Jersey Jim,
Where did you grow up? My husband (BobM) and I both grew up across the street from Lebanon State Forest........In Presidential Lakes.....during the 70's...were you near there then?
Ann

I just saw a random picture of three bees....Dennis I think? It was a sign of the project he grew up in, Presidential Lakes, too!
Must be a few of yas around!
Renee