Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
artsmll.jpg

Brooksbrae "Art" Gallery???

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I don't care how anyone views my opinion and I won't be politically correct. Don't deflect from the facts! What is on the side of Brooksbrae is vandalism.

That is the problem with many people today. They have an arrogant sense of entitlement and deflect from poor choices blaming their actions on the views of others. You want art spray paint on your own house. I don't call filling in balloon letters with bright colors talented especially something has mundane as what is on Brooksbrae. I call it disgusting.

I said my piece.

CAM00021.jpg
CAM00046.jpg
First of all, I appreciate art. I am a photographer. I'm also a fan of Bansky. I've seen plenty of graffiti that I think is well done.

Just because the Brooksbrae Factory isn't in the same league as the Washington Monument doesn't mean that it doesn't deserve to be protected from vandalism. The Brooksbrae plant is important as it gives historians context and insight into the early 20th century industry in the Pinelands.

What you're arguing - how the graffiti enhances the ruins - is purely subjective. YOU hold that opinion, yet you rail against us "old heads" (I'm 35, hardly an old head) for our own subjective opinions. The thing is, though, that our opinions are backed up by science and historical preservation techniques.

How would you feel if someone came over, tagged the side of your house, and then told you that you were being selfish that you didn't like it because "It's art, man."

I will tell you what: I'd be happy to meet you at Pasadena and you can take me around the ruins and enlighten me as to what graffiti there is "artistic." Is it all of the people spray painting their area codes?

Pasadena isn't your house buddy, so youre going to have to think harder to try to make some sense of that statement. Historians don't have much else to learn from watching bricks rot in the woods. and yes, I was just at Pasadena and the artwork was beautiful and interesting. sorry you don't own the ruins, people will continue to add to the artwork. tough life, ben.
20130612_211154.jpg

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
View attachment 4310View attachment 4311

Pasadena isn't your house buddy, so youre going to have to think harder to try to make some sense of that statement. Historians don't have much else to learn from watching bricks rot in the woods. and yes, I was just at Pasadena and the artwork was beautiful and interesting. sorry you don't own the ruins, people will continue to add to the artwork. tough life, ben.View attachment 4309

So *I* don't own the ruins, but it's cool for you to tell me that it's okay for people to do whatever you find appealing with them?

Pasadena isn't my house, but it's part of our shared NJ heritage. Sorry if I'm not keen on letting some 22 year old girl make a decision on what is right and proper with regards to the treatment of historical sites.

PS: With the exception of that middle picture, that's all shit "artwork."

are you not making the same judgment about art then? and why are you so fixated on my age? I am actually a 22 year old woman and I can make whatever decision I please. The paint will fade, paint isn't hurting anything. It will soon be gone. I have been there numerous times and the paint always fades away whether or not people paint over it. unless you plan on being the pine barrens police, you should make peace with the artists. I really expected better from a 35 year old boy than to throw profanities around and to go whine about how horrible I am on facebook. its just paint. take a breath. its just paint...

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
are you not making the same judgment about art then? and why are you so fixated on my age? I am actually a 22 year old woman and I can make whatever decision I please. The paint will fade, paint isn't hurting anything. It will soon be gone. I have been there numerous times and the paint always fades away whether or not people paint over it. unless you plan on being the pine barrens police, you should make peace with the artists. I really expected better from a 35 year old boy than to throw profanities around and to go whine about how horrible I am on facebook. its just paint. take a breath. its just paint...

Yes, I'm making a judgement about art. But here's the thing: it doesn't belong there. And, if you asked any ranger, historian, archaeologist, or even a regular guy off the street they'd tell you the same thing.

While the paint may fade, it doesn't really ever fully go away. It does hurt the masonry.

It's not my place to make peace with anybody. I don't own the ruins. I have no desire to stand guard over them. People can do what they want, I just have the right to not support what they do.

Did you see the before and after pictures at Brooksbrae that I posted here? In 80 years the site has deteriorated that much. For a while people were removing bricks and stones from the ruins to make forts to hide behind for their paintball games. Is that okay too?

okay, i guess i should just believe everything you say, and of course, everyone would agree with you, any guy off the street! and you must be the expert when it comes to art too, right? youre the expert on everything!
no, obviously, if you actually read anything i wrote. I said...Paint=okay Destroying the structure=not okay I really dont understand the confusion. i have no interest in looking at anything else from you. geez, admin of the site jumps right down my throat because I have a different opinion. you'd think i said i want to burn the whole damn pinelands down or something. I know for a fact that not everyone finds the need to protect their little piney secrets and have the decency to share their knowledge without attempting to insult someone for being young and who also dont feel the need for reassurance by jumping onto facebook to make sure they have other people to yes them. THAT was shocking. really, ben? really?
a site like this should unite people, not try desperately to prove everyone wrong by suddenly claiming that youre an expert in ever topic under the sun or telling others to keep people out of the pinelands because they may or may not spray paint onto a pile of rotting bricks. a community like that has no chance of stopping the pipeline from being built. im disappointed that the forum about the area i love so much so far has shown such a bizarre possessiveness over the barrens and a need to distance others from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.