Brotherton Indian Reservation Village News

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
For anyone interested,

Just wanted to let you know that Shamong Township has bought the old Cowpertwaite farm right in the heart of the Brotherton Reservation Village and are planning to build a cemetery there. The cemetery field is 7 Acres, see attached map. I don't know if an Archaeological survey is required or not, but this is the side of the road that the original Indian burial ground is located. It would be funny if at the first burial they found that somebody was already in the grave.

Don

Although the whole farm was bought the proposed cemetery is only the 7 acres north of Willow Grove Rd.
fff.jpg

P.S. I am pretty sure the Indian burial ground was not in this field, but then, no one really knows where it is located.

rc911

Explorer
Apr 23, 2015
Cream Ridge, NJ
For anyone interested,

Just wanted to let you know that Shamong Township has bought the old Cowpertwaite farm right in the heart of the Brotherton Reservation Village and are planning to build a cemetery there. The cemetery field is 7 Acres, see attached map. I don't know if an Archaeological survey is required or not, but this is the side of the road that the original Indian burial ground is located. It would be funny if at the first burial they found that somebody was already in the grave.

Don

Although the whole farm was bought the proposed cemetery is only the 7 acres north of Willow Grove Rd.
View attachment 7416
P.S. I am pretty sure the Indian burial ground was not in this field, but then, no one really knows where it is located.
Is this something that ground penetrating radar could be used for, to determine where remains are located? I doubt that new graves would be dug until the location of the sacred Indian site is confirmed.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Thanks 46er. I was wondering if there was an actual map. I wasn't sure if it's that entire field or scaled back a bit. A 25 foot buffer doesn't seem like much.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
I see folks with metal Detectors on the proposed cemetery lot. Remember, if you find something don't keep it a secret, share with the rest of the world. It's not doing any good in some ones basement, thank you.

Reactions: smoke_jumper