Burden Hill Preserve, A PBX Hike

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
yes she got a bath when she walked through the door.She was stanky.She hates a bath,loves the water but hates a bath.She will not get in the tub,I have to pick her big ass up and put her there but she will stay once in there but grudgingly.She will jump right out.She will stand under a hose outside quicker,I guess thats not a bath to her.She'll never get a boyfriend smelling like she did today,then again maybe she will,no accounting for a dogs taste in odors.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice photo's and video's. You really are getting good with that camera :)

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Not officially.Actually he still gets up to the barrens but hardly ever with me.His work load has just been dramatically increased and with me working swing shift it just never works out.I am not much of a photographer.I do not have the patience,it slows down my exploring.I want to know whats around the bend,I always relied on Whip to take a photo of what was there while i was running off to the next treasure.I now have to do this myself or it doesn't get done.Without me Whip will return to the same place over and over,he needs to be dragged to new places or he will beat an old one to death,like Seabreeze but I need him to make me slow down and appreciate where I am and make a memory of it or I will miss most of it rushing to the next spung or island.So for now Whip will return to the same spots ad ifinitum while I will explore more spots with no record of where I've been because I'm too lazy to take pictures and not talented enough to make it worth it. So Whip is still out there and so am I and he is too wore out to pout about our employment circumstances but I'm not and will indulge in enough self pity to placate the both of us.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Jerseyman, I add more (Moss–Moore–Morss) to the story!

There's also Maus Branch (below) on Hopkins, 1873: 23, Combined Atlas of the State of New Jersey and the City of Newark. That's an old English term for mallow, a family of herbaceous plants that are common along wetlands. Marsh Mallow is one of its most well-known representatives. Lee (2010) in Place Names of the Jersey Shore adds yet one more spelling, Morse!

Scan-130107-0001.jpg

S-M

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Spung-Man:

Hear! Hear!

"Robert Morss, Esq., of Galloway Twp., £70 for a grist mill and 60 acres in the same place, the survey of which is recorded in the Surveyor General's Office at Burlington in Liber P, folio 127-128"

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
'Paddler, I am not arguing that the name shouldn't be Morss, but am trying to demonstrate how fluid place names can be! Here's a link to a post that sheds some light on the Morss-Morse-Moss debate.

A.W. Dellquest (1938) in These Names of Ours indicates "the surname Moss is usually from Moses (French: Moyes). The Old English word moss was occasionally used in the sense of a moor; hence Moss may sometimes represent a local description similar to names like Heath, Field, and Meadow." Apparently Morse is Morris, which "comes from Moorish, and originally indicated a person of dark complexion, like a Moor."

Bob, is Moyer more or less a variant of Moyes?

S-M

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
'Paddler, I am not arguing that the name shouldn't be Morss, but am trying to demonstrate how fluid place names can be! Here's a link to a post that sheds some light on the Morss-Morse-Moss debate.

A.W. Dellquest (1938) in These Names of Ours indicates "the surname Moss is usually from Moses (French: Moyes). The Old English word moss was occasionally used in the sense of a moor; hence Moss may sometimes represent a local description similar to names like Heath, Field, and Meadow." Apparently Morse is Morris, which "comes from Moorish, and originally indicated a person of dark complexion, like a Moor."

Bob, is Moyer more or less a variant of Moyes?

S-M

Good stuff. I recall seeing Marsh as a variant of Morss when I was digging into old deeds and wills.