Burlington Island and Jessup's Grove

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Welcome, Bruce. That image is a treasure. Thanks for posting it, and the story about your grandfather's swim.

I popped the pic into a viewer and blew it up, hoping to see some more detail of the further vessel. I didn't, and about all I can say is that she's a sidewheel steamer flying a large U.S. ensign. The Doron appears to have just applied power after allowing the other vessel to cross her bows. The Doron is interesting in that she's a double-pilothouse ferry, which certainly seems small enough to have used a center pilothouse (as witness the amount of space the group of 8-9 people on the foredeck take up). She has a rudder at either end, and I'm guessing screw propulsion since I can't see any signs of a wheel.

Very cool stuff! Thanks again.

BruceClark

Aug 14, 2009
Ferry photo

Thanks for the kind words! I had to reduce the quality and size of the photo scan to post it here, but the original is quite sharp. I can easily share a detailed scan to anyone who wants to study it. I can be reached via the "private message" function of this forum. Just send me your email address. I know that Jerseyman is also trying to identify the other vessel.

The photo was in a box of old family photos and negatives. If any other photos like that turn up, I'll be sure to post them here.

--
Bruce
picture.php

BruceClark

Aug 14, 2009
1915 Ferry Photo

Look what I found in my box of photos!

It is another picture of the William E. Doron ferry - and the back of the picture is marked "1915". Gotta love it when people document these dates! The photo shows the ferry in the distant center of the image with lots of water and sky around it. So - to show the ferry up-close, I cropped the image for best viewing here. No other vessels (except for a small sail boat) are in this shot.

-
Bruce

picture.php

Bruce:

Wow—another great shot of the ferryboat! Thanks for posting it!! For those who have an interest in such things, here is some information on the Burlington-Bristol ferry service and the two steamboats used in that service:

Ferry service between Burlington and Bristol began in the late 1600s. However, the Doron family of Bristol operated the service that our most senior citizens remember. In 1861, Elwood Doron first received his license to operate a ferry. He had a boat constructed and named it after himself, the “Elwood Doron.” When Elwood’s son, William E. Doron assumed control of the ferry operation, he replaced his father’s steamer with a ferryboat he named for himself: the “William E. Doron.” The Neafie & Levy shipyard, located in the Kensington section of Philadelphia, constructed this diminutive boat in 1893. The little “Billy Doron” (or “Bibby Doron” as many affectionately called her due to her owner’s speech impediment) measured only 79 feet long and 23 feet wide. She drew 8.6 feet of water, had an engine rated at 150 horsepower and a crew of five men operated the boat. She had a capacity of about 10 model-T Fords and made a dozen trips daily. During that cold winter of 1918, when the Delaware completely froze over and the “Bibby” could not run, an enterprising Burlington taxi driver put chains on his cab and drove people back and forth between Burlington and Bristol. In later years Mr. Doron claimed the ferry operation lost money. Then in February, 1930, he posted a sign at the ticket booth announcing he would terminate service on February 25, 1930. Co-incidentally, this was the same day as the signing of the new bridge contract. When people mentioned the new bridge to Billy, he merely shook his head and said, “I'll never live to see it.” And he never did, for he died in December of 1930. His heirs sold his little ferryboat to a firm in Virginia and, while being towed down there, a storm arose off Cape Charles and the “Billy Doran” took on water and finally sank. She is still laying on the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean today off the coast of Virginia.

Regarding the steamer in the first image you posted, I have ruled out many riverboats based on stern details and I am coming to the conclusion that the steamer may be one of the Dolphin Line boats, but I can’t be certain. If I find anything definite, I will certainly let you know.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

I missed this thread the first time around (and I second that the South Jersey Revolutionary War thread 1777 was one of the best threads I've ever read on here).

If the bottom half of the Island is a green acres reserve (and now open for exploring), I'll have to tie up the canoe and head out there soon...

mageemedia

Apr 25, 2010
Historic Burlington Island Amusement Park Photos?

Jerseyman,

Sounds like you have some old photos of the amusement rides on Burlington Island, but not sure if you did post them, since I could not find them. We were on the island yesterday for the Board of Island Managers' 2nd Annual Cleanup Day, and I shot video for the Board. Would like to incorporate some good quality amusement digi-pix if you have some. Thanks.
MageeMedia

Jim:

Here is a short and sweet history of Burlington Island:

Burlington Island or Matinicunk Island, as the natives called it in the 1600s, became the first site permanent European settlement on the Delaware River. In 1624, the West India Company of Holland sent a group of French-speaking Walloons to settle in the New World. They chose Matinicunk Island. The Walloons came from what, today, is Belgium. The Indian name “Matinicunk” means “Island of Pines.” In 1626, the Dutch returned to transport the Walloons back to Manhattan in an effort to consolidate the Dutch Colony. During the mid-1600s, the Dutch governor Alexander D’Hinoyossa maintained his resident on “High” Island, as he called it.

Possession of the island changed hands several times during the ensuing few years until the English gained temporary control of all of New Netherlands in 1664 and final control in 1675. In 1682, with the help of Burlington resident Robert Stacy, the West Jersey Assembly passed an act granting the island to Burlington to be rented for farming. The legislation directed the rent collected would aid in paying for educating the children of Burlington. Since that act in 1682, the title to the island, even though challenged by Pennsylvania down through the years, has remained with the City of Burlington. In 1852 the state legislature chartered a board titled, “Managers and Treasurers of the Fund for the Education of the Youth in the City of Burlington.” This board remains active to this day.

Shortly after the state chartered the board, Burlington citizens permitted the managers put the lower half of the island—about 100 acres—up for sale. The Burlington Island Land Association purchased the island property for $20,100.00. For many years, this association agitated for the construction of a bridge across the back channel to the island so they could sell building lots. Of course, this never happened and in the late 1880s, the association gave up and sold the land to others. In 1900, the owner of the lower section of the island, Mark Bassler, developed it as a family picnic resort. He erected a pier, tables and a large open pavilion. He also had sand deposited upriver from the pier to form a beach. At the north end of his property, the city erected a wire fence. At this location, the resort managers built a large bath house and an ice cream stand. Reportedly 4,000 people visited the island in a single day during the 1902 season. By 1907, the park owners convinced George Potts, owner of Rancocas Park in Mount Laurel (where Rancocas Woods now stands) to move his better amusement rides to the island to enhance his revenue stream. Meanwhile, park management erected some swings to entertain the daily guests. As the park developed and management introduced better rides, Potts removed his amusements back to his park in Mount Laurel.

In 1917, the owner sold the island property and amusement park. The new owners moved quickly to erect “Island Beach Park,” an elaborate amusement park complete with a large wooden roller coaster called the Greyhound. The park even featured a miniature railroad complete with replica Reading R.R. camelback locomotives. This new park became the toast of the river excursion crowd, attracting thousands. At times, the river pier would have six and seven steamers waiting to unload its human cargo. Still others came by train and would take the little ferryboat, the “William E. Doron,” to the island. In 1928 a disastrous fire all but destroyed the amusement park. A second fire in 1934 finished the job. Although one ride still survives: the restored carousel at Seaside Heights. After the 1928 fire, a physician purchased the carousel and its shelter and had it moved from the island and shipped to become a new amusement for visitors to Seaside Heights. But this ride, still enjoyed by many today, began amusing folks on Burlington Island.

After the 1928 fire, the destroyed amusement park owners sold the lower half of the island to the Hainesport Mining and Transportation Company, part of the Van Sciver Corporation, for sand mining. It April 1929, when the Warner Sand Company bought out the Van Sciver firm for $10 million, they received title to this land. In 1955 Warner began dredging operations, which they completed in 1969. After removing the sand from the island, it left a large lagoon. Warner returned title to this lagoon and the land surrounding back to the City of Burlington instead of the Board of Island Managers. In 1971, the city had the mouth of this basin closed off from the river. Unfortunately, with the Board of Island Managers owning the north half and the City of Burlington owning the south half, much friction has developed over what kind of development should occur on the island. It remains a problem today, although there are signs that the city and board are finding some common ground.

The next time I fire up my scanner, I will post some views of the amusement park.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

BruceClark

Aug 14, 2009
The Beginning of the End

The Friday, March 8th, 1907 edition of "The Bristol Gazette" ran an article that signaled the beginning of the end of ferry service between Bristol PA and Burlington NJ.

Headlined: "To Bridge The Delaware", it outlined the plans to build the Burlington-Bristol Bridge.

The ferry company knew it was in big trouble. It pointed to their exclusive charter and threatened legal action.

The complete article can be read here:

BBbridge1.jpgBBbridge2.jpg

or here

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/3275/bbbridge1.jpg

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/1917/bbbridge2.jpg

Although construction did not begin on the bridge until April 1930, these early plans indicated what would eventually happen.

---
Bruce

Waldeck

I'm new to this site and was hoping for some information on this topic. I hope this is not to late to get the thread going again. I have been to the island and am interested in the wells and the electric on the island. Any information would be very helpful. I would also like to know where the old steam engine went from the the old water works on the main land next to the boat club. Thank you for any help.

buckykattnj

Scout
Feb 22, 2010
Atlantic County At-Large
Somehow, I've missed this thread until now... sorry to dredge it back from the dead, but it seems the one thread like it.

I love the photos that you have posted Jerseyman. Especially the Razzle Dazzle.

Just curious, besides Island Beach Park and George Potts' Rancocas Park, what other amusement parks were in the area during 1900~1920? I know there was Riverview Park in Penn's Grove and Clementon Park... but to the best of my knowledge, I've only seen that Riverview Park and Island Park had a Razzle Dazzle during the 1905~1918 era.

Why do I seem obsessed with the Razzle Dazzle? Simple... sometime around 1917~1918, it nearly killed my grandmother... and I imagine it might be the very well be the one you posted in this thread.

Basically, my grandmother was about 10 years old and was sitting on the ride with a friend. Some larger person suddenly sat across from them, and the ride became unbalanced, throwing the two girls through the air. My grandmother was badly injured and blind for several weeks... the other girl was killed instantly.

I'm not sure if my grandmother was living in Camden or Maple Shade at the time it happened, but knowing how close Island Park and Rancocas Park are... and that George Potts may have moved this Razzle Dazzle to his other park at some point, I imagine the odds are quite good the ride in the photo might be the source of the tragic accident.

It blows my mind that nearly a hundred years after it happened, its possible to correlate info to something that has been largely family legend for years. My grandmother passed away in 1984 and with her passing the secondhand details (she didn't directly remember the incident) were gone. It makes me wonder if the incident was covered in the newspapers... and if its in a database someplace yet to be discovered.

BKNJ

Reactions: Boyd