Bush Prepares for Possible GPS Shutdown

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
BEHR655 said:
I hope we'll get a warning. I guess I better buy a compass just in case.

Steve

This reminds me. When I went back to parker preserve to the southern end, I was standing in a dry bog, and I had 14 satellites at one time. All the availables were online except one. Ever have that many yourself?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you are in the open, or high up, you get good reception.

Mine only has twelve connections????? How did you get 14?

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Yeah that would be bad if you'd hiked way out somewhere and the GPS satellites went offline. Another reason not to become too dependent on it. Of course any event that would trigger this scenario would be even scarier. This reminded me, the afternoon of 9/11/01 I went out for a hike in the pines to calm down and it helped. I had my GPS with me and it worked fine...

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Boyd said:
Yeah that would be bad if you'd hiked way out somewhere and the GPS satellites went offline. Another reason not to become too dependent on it. Of course any event that would trigger this scenario would be even scarier. This reminded me, the afternoon of 9/11/01 I went out for a hike in the pines to calm down and it helped. I had my GPS with me and it worked fine...

I went out the morning after. It was really weird with no airplanes around.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I think they are talking about temporary shut down until a crisis ends.

Guy

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
I think there would have to be a really strange set of circumstances for them to shut down the network. Doing so may hinder enemies in the area, but it would also cripple our forces at the same time. Ben's right . . . too much relies on that technology now to shut it down.

-Bob