Buying paper topo maps

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Where's a good place to buy paper topo maps? Sound a place like Sports Authority have them?

The one drawback to TopoUSA is that it doesn't have any of the little details like public/private property color coding, and points of interest labeled.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I wonder if I could get him to sign mine? If we ever meet him I will ask.

Guy

njtrainer34

May 8, 2003
Northern NJ
Just bougt a great topo at Barnes & Noble
Its called New Jersey Atlas & Gazetteer made by DeLorme.
The topos of the Pines are fantastic.

Good luck!
Howard-

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I checked out the Delorme paper maps and wasn't impressed. They don't have any of the detail that the USGS maps offer, and they're pretty small. What is nice is that they're bound and indexed in a book form, which would make for ease of use while on the trail.

Someone needs to come up with a bound copy of the *real* USGS quads in 1:25000 scale and I will be happy.

B

bach2yoga

BEHR655 said:
My buddy just bought 'Heart of the Pines' in Green Bank at, of all places, a Pizza shop. He said they also had topos for 4 bucks each, folded not rolled. Sorry, I don't know the name of the shop but he said it was near the bridge.

If I'm not mistaken, that's Matt's Pizza Store, which was formerly Aunt Hattie's store mentioned in Heart Of the Pines.

Batsto Visitor Center also has them around $4 each, and our local used book bookstore also sells them.

Renee

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Renee,

Does the Batsto visitors center have all of the Pine Barrens maps, or just the ones for the Batsto area?

Specifically I'd like to get the ones for the Forked River Mountains, Lebanon State Forest, etc.

B

bach2yoga

bruset said:
I paid $55 for my copy of Heart, but mine is a signed copy bought at Buzby's.

Buzby's is an expensive place to buy books at.

I was just there Saturday and picked up a railroad booklet, Marilyn's self guided tour of chatsworth, her pine barrens map and her Churches and Graveyard of the NJ Pine Barrens, Jack Cervetto's book, a Sugar Sand Ramblers CD (hey, I know 6 of the songs and can fiddle along with it!) and a copy of the Ants in Frants. I managed to stay around $40 though.

Renee

NewSchoolPiney

Explorer
Jun 16, 2003
Boston, MA
www.pinemind.com
Searching through older topics while at work, this one struck my interest. I bought a bunch of USGS Maps last summer at the Batsto Visitor's Center. I found the information about where to buy on the USGS website, which I cannot relocate at this time.

So, stop by the Batsto Visitor's center if you need a place to buy some PB topo's.

Peace,
Justin

B

bach2yoga

I've picked them up there before-they are less expensive there than through the USGS website. But they don't have any of the lower areas, such as Cape May or such. I get those at a local used bookstore. I'll probably pick up a couple more soon, when I pick up the new Harry Potter book that I'm waiting for. I preordered, but it was a late preorder, and the warehouses are temp. out of stock... :(
Renee