Buzby's then and now

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Maralyn told me that she has invested about $200k into refurbishing the building.

I dunno, I kind of like it looking like a run down general store rather than a happy cheery craft store.

B

BarryC

I kind of understand what you are saying Ben. But I love the fact that Marilyn has the best Pine Barrens bookstore in all of South Jersey.
And Renee,
Thanks for the 2 pictures. I have that issue of Natl. Geo. and love it.
Barry
bruset said:
Maralyn told me that she has invested about $200k into refurbishing the building.

I dunno, I kind of like it looking like a run down general store rather than a happy cheery craft store.

B

bach2yoga

bruset said:

Ever have her show you around the back of the store? She has some interesting things that she hung onto--a long wooden slat with a hole cut in it that was used for a toilet, an old safe that she couldn't get opened, and several other things.

Renee

B

bach2yoga

BEHR655 said:
Hmmm............... If you look at the full size picture of Buzby's that bach2yoga posted you will notice 2 people inside the store. Notice the person on the left, a woman I think. It appears the head has been blacked out. I wonder why.

That's how it looks in the magazine as well.

KARL

Scout
Sep 7, 2003
BARNEGAT
Visit site
BEN, YOU ARE SO RIGHT...............I WAS SADDENED TO SEE BUZBYS TURNED INTO ANOTHER YUPPIE BOOK STORE.............I RECALL THE DAYS WHEN IT WAS A REAL CORNER COFFEE AND GENERAL STORE...................BUZBY ALWAYS ASSUMED I WAS A LOCAL,AND NEVERCHARGED ME FOR COFFEE...............MAYBE IT WAS MY WORK BOOTS AND RED SUSPENDERS...............BUT LORDY,WE SHALL MISS THE OLD PLACE......KARL

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
KARL said:
BEN, YOU ARE SO RIGHT...............I WAS SADDENED TO SEE BUZBYS TURNED INTO ANOTHER YUPPIE BOOK STORE.............I RECALL THE DAYS WHEN IT WAS A REAL CORNER COFFEE AND GENERAL STORE...................BUZBY ALWAYS ASSUMED I WAS A LOCAL,AND NEVERCHARGED ME FOR COFFEE...............MAYBE IT WAS MY WORK BOOTS AND RED SUSPENDERS...............BUT LORDY,WE SHALL MISS THE OLD PLACE......KARL

My last visit there was about 1981 or so. It was still a general store and they served food. I picked up a nice well made grocery bag with the New Jersey Devil on it.Unfortunately, I used it and washed it. The logo of Buzby's and the Jersey Devil really faded.

Marilyn has really done a great job in restoring the store and the books she sells are great. She also knowa quite a bit of the area so she's a good reference.

I wonder who owned it back when I visited it? I nver thought to ask since I felt like an "outsider"

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
bach2yoga said:
I recently got a copy of the Natl Geo issue from 1974 with McPhee's Pine Barrens article.

Thought you might find the Nat'l Geo photo of Buzby's then and my photo of Buzby's now interesting.

Renee

There are still 300 copies left that you can purchase from National Geographic. Here are the details if you wish to order one:

September 9, 2003

Thank you for contacting the National Geographic Society.

Buzby’s General Store was pictured on page 65 of an article titled “The People of New Jersey's Pine Barrens.†The article was published in January 1974

The issue is still available from our Single Copy Sales office, which you can contact as follows:

National Geographic Society
PO Box 63001
Tampa, Florida 33663-3001
USA
Email: NGS.SINGLE@CUSTOMERSVC.COM
Phone: 1-800-777-2800
From outside the US and Canada: 1-813-979-6685

You might also be able to see the issue in a library or member’s collection of the magazine.

Information on photographs from the article should be available through the following office:

Image Sales Division
1145 17th Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20036-4688
USA
Tel: 1-202-857-7537 or 1-800-434-2244
e-mail: images@ngs.org

We hope that this information will be helpful.

Sincerely,

Patrick J. McGeehan
Research Correspondence Division

---
IS THE NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC CHANNEL AVAILABLE IN YOUR AREA? FIND OUT OR REQUEST IT AT HTTP://WWW.NATIONALGEOGRAPHIC.COM/CHANNEL

B

BarryC

Also, they turn up on Ebay every now and then. I've seen several. Every time I hear about a magazine that did an article on the Pines, I buy it if I can find it. National Geographic Explorer did has done a coupe of articles, and I think Smithsonian has. I forget exactly, since I haven't looked at them in a while. Good stuff.
Barry
njvike said:
There are still 300 copies left that you can purchase from National Geographic. Here are the details if you wish to order one:

September 9, 2003

Thank you for contacting the National Geographic Society.

Buzby’s General Store was pictured on page 65 of an article titled “The People of New Jersey's Pine Barrens.†The article was published in January 1974

The issue is still available from our Single Copy Sales office, which you can contact as follows: ...