Buzby's

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Wow ! Looks like he is a firearms enthusiast. Rifle Dynamics is a custom builder of AK-47's.

I would love to see the store return to the roots that I remember in the 1970's when Buzby's was a gathering spot for hunters and locals and the store was a NJF&W Deer Check Station. I worked the check station for a day in 1979 as part of a wildlife management course I had at Rutgers. I used to stop there on my enduro in the 1970's too for food and drink.

If the new owner could obtain a FFL maybe he could offer basic hunting ammo and a few sporting goods items. Chatsworth and the surrounding area is awash in gun clubs and there is absoulutely nowhere within 30 miles to buy a simple box of shotgun shells.

I wish them luck !

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I wouldn't get too excited about Buzby's future quite yet, sounds like he might have some thoughts of trying to flip it....

“I just saw commercial properties for sale, and took advantage of the opportunities,” he said. “On the investment side, I thought it was a win-win."

But I certainly wish him well, and am glad to see there's a new owner.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I wouldn't get too excited about Buzby's future quite yet, sounds like he might have some thoughts of trying to flip it....

“I just saw commercial properties for sale, and took advantage of the opportunities,” he said. “On the investment side, I thought it was a win-win."

But I certainly wish him well, and am glad to see there's a new owner.
Agreed.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
"I thought it was a win-win..."

Wonder what he meant by that? Sounds like a win for him - and maybe another win for him if he sells it? Not much of a win for Marilyn and her heirs, who wanted almost four times that price back in 2011.

Such is the risk of operating a small business in the pines. So many places come and go, and I'm sure there's a sad story behind each one. :(

Scott, isn't there some serious liability associated with selling ammunition in today's environment? What if some crazy guy goes on a spree with a box of ammo that you sold him?

Last edited:

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
"Scott, isn't there some serious liability associated with selling ammunition in today's environment? What if some crazy guy goes on a spree with a box of ammo that you sold him?

No, there isn't Boyd. As long as the seller did not break the law in completing the sale.

Individual shotgun and rifle ammunition sales are not recorded at the point of sale. The purchaser must be at least 18 years of age. Handgun ammunition is recorded at the point of sale and the purchaser must be 21 and present a NJ Firearms Purchasers Identification card.
Handgun ammunition is not very well defined:
2C:58-3.3 "Handgun ammunition" defined; sale, purchase, etc., regulated; violation, fourth degree crime.
1. a. As used in this act, "handgun ammunition" means ammunition specifically designed to be used only in a handgun. "Handgun ammunition" shall not include blank ammunition, air gun pellets, flare gun ammunition, nail gun ammunition, paint ball ammunition, or any non-fixed ammunition.
Many sellers will consider .22 rimfire as handgun ammunition because many handguns are chambered for it. However, it is more commonly used as rifle ammo. 9mm on the other hand is almost 100% used as handgun ammunition.

Another way to look at your question is to ask:
"If someone killed another person with a screwdriver, is Home Depot on the hook ?"

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
He is also buying the hedger house as well according to the article. Wouldnt mind a small mom and pop shop for ammo and hunting supplies in the area that is closer than shooters.

Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe