C. C. Vermeule Topo Maps (c1870-1887) Uploaded

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
All:

I've just uploaded roughly 100 topo maps by C.C. Vermeule. They date from circa 1870-1887. I got them from the DEP - NJGS.

These Adobe™ PDF files of Historical topographic manuscript maps were completed by Topographic Engineer C.C. Vermeule from around 1870 to 1887 at a scale of 1 to 21,120 (3 inches equal one mile). The maps constitute New Jersey's first topographic survey, and show early topographic interpretations and cultural features of the state. For conservation purposes, Vermeule's maps were encapsulated in archival mylar. After encapsulation, each map was scanned in TIFF format at 300 dpi as RGB datatype and converted to JPEG format. The JPEG image was then converted to an Adobe™ PDF document. There are 101 topographic maps in the series and one key map. Maps numbered 50 and 53 are missing from the archive and were scanned from blue line field copies. Due to equipment limitations, some maps were scanned in two sections and are identified with the letter "n", "s", "e" or "w".

I converted them all from PDF back to JPG (the file sizes are smaller, believe it or not). The only one that I did not do (yet) is map #85, which is password protected. Unfortunately that map has the Green Bank area on it.

You can find the maps on the site here: http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/showgallery.php/cat/635

You can see them in their original form on the DEP-NJGS website here: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/njgs/enviroed/vermeulemaps.htm

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Thanks for your efforts Ben. That was quite a feat.
I have been studying my neck of the woods on plate 77.
77 covers Waterford, Parkdale, Atsion and out to Quaker Bridge.
Scott

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Been meanin' to thank you.
Echo to Scott's statement.
This area is portrayed well and interestingly comparable in my mind to
Topozone. I do like seeing the existence of different trails, some of the old roads, and lay of the land though.

Cool.

g.