Calico ( Highway To Hell )

Oct 25, 2006
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=39.68013&lon=-74.50329&datum=nad27&layer=DRG

What an outing!!! The trouble began when i was making a left turn off of rt.679 to go up to martha past harrisville lake, i do not know what made me stop my turn, i guess fate,but some total moron passed me on the left hand side going about 90 mph, lucky me and my friend are still alive to talk about it.

We proceeded to the above marked road, one of the few i have never rode on back in the 70's, i use to take andrews road then allen road to oswego road to get to the calico area, but of course the opening of the bombing range has changed that.

Unless you have a four wheel drive do not take the road where the above marker symbol is, i made it about 75% of the way through this ditch,then i bottomed out, the logs and downed timber was brittle to the touch to use for a base, had to use two back brake drums for a base, to jack the car up.

As a side note, as we got stuck, a backpacking woman was coming back from the cement ruins,she offered her help, i walked with her back to martha road, she said she would try to get help, i asked her about how she knew about the calico area, and she said she found out about it on the internet, i asked her what site, and lo and behold she said nj pine barrens.com, i told her to join up, i hope she does.

After waiting some time i started walking to rt.679 again, i made it to the first overlook swimming area with the swing rope out to the oswego, i talked to a man and his son about my predicament, and after a invigorating we will get you out, away we went back to my car.

Upon arriving we saw another truck on the other side of my car already helping, 2 hours later we were on our way, what great people they were, of course they offered, and we drank some of the guys pabst's blue ribbon.

We then went over the beaver branch to oswego road to allen's road to stage road, we liked the writing on bartlett's bridge saying, welcome to hell, i will come in to the calico area this way next weekend, it was a clear shot to calico, allen's is chewed up asphalt, but driving slow and carefully was no problem.

We decided to go and thank the guy with the blue truck at the swimming area again, some more people were there having a good time, he then gave us hot dogs, we definitely will be hooking up with him in the future. We then went down to to river and started washing off the mud, the deer flies and gnats were horrendous.

We stopped on the way home at the magnolia road tavern to see if autumn mist was there, we met her outside and over some yuengling lagers we started talking about brooksbrae and other pine barrens places, what a thrill to talk to someone live and in person about the pines.

On closing, the tavern was a nice, friendly, mom and pop place, no rowdy's who have two beers and then think their buster bad butt's, i cannot stand those type of people.

Autumn, thank you for the cold ones, the hospitality, and give a well deserved job done to your husband and the magnolia road fire station for their efforts on the recent fire, we will definitely be coming back.

Also to Autumn, if you ever feel the need to break a bottle over somone's head, the incident you told us about the two creeps, please use the real cheap stuff, not the vodka, as i like a bloody mary occassionaly. :) Thanks, again.

Forget to mention this, but the two back brake drums were not from my car, they were from my kids car, George changed the drums on them earlier in the week for inspection, i had a shovel and a couple of 2 by 4's in the car also in the car earlier in the week, the kid took them for his job without telling me, of course i should have checked the trunk before i left, the 2 by 4's and the shovel the guy had in the blue truck is what got us out. I need to buy a caliper for the drum depths, the ones the kid bought from jimmy's auto parts, 20$ a piece, look exactly the same depth, i wonder ?.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Very nice post Jim! Easy to read and well written. Sorry to hear about your predicament, but in the end it all turned out, with some drink and food to boot.

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
:D Thanks Guy, a situation like that getting stuck does not deter me, third time that has happened, if the 2 by 4's and the shovel weren't taken out of my trunk, we could have gotten out a lot sooner, of couse like i said in my edit, i should have looked.

Next weekend, besides revisiting the calico warren grove road area around the bog, the big puddle, the ellis adams site on oswego road, i also want to revisit where the sandy white area on oswego road where the four dots are on the oswego lake topi, i will also will be bringing the usual trash bags to clean up the area in case, because i fear the worst. I have no tolerance for litterers. Man i really like the above smilie.

Oct 25, 2006
Some days are better than others. :D At least yours ended well.

Steve

:D Most definitely Steve, the great people we met, the help they offered, the food and drink given to total strangers, the friendly people at the tavern, all in all that was the highlight of the outing. That's the pine barrens though, i would have done the same for anyone also.

The dip butt that passed me though as i was about to make the left turn off of rt.679 to Martha, that was the first time that has ever happened to me, unbelieveable!!!!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They need to set up a camera there and catch them. Or put up a sign saying they have one.

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
Some questions about the cranberry bog in the calico area ?

Is the bog currently active ?

Who owns it ? The state ? Private hands ?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
At Martha? They are owned by Cutts. They are active as far as I know.

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
At Martha? They are owned by Cutts. They are active as far as I know.

Guy

http://maps.google.com/maps?tab=wl

Has anyone on the website ever asked the cutts family permission to explore the site in the calico area ? At cutts road there is the chains and locks on both gates, that is enough to keep anyone out of there, even if going on foot, but the gray area depicted on the map is interesting. My fault, it is not working the way i want it to, basically in oral language, if you go north on cutts road to right where the green area at the southernmost end of the bog area, there is a gray patch of land depicted to the right where the road enters the bog area, i have a certain feeling about gray areas on computer generated maps.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jim,

The link does not work. Go back to where you want us to see, and click on the link to the right that says "Link to this page". After a few seconds you can copy the URL and paste it into your post.

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
Jim,

The link does not work. Go back to where you want us to see, and click on the link to the right that says "Link to this page". After a few seconds you can copy the URL and paste it into your post.

Guy

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...-74.49835&spn=0.001371,0.002414&t=k&z=18&om=0

Still learning the google side of copying and pasting, just bear with me guys, there we go.

Google has cutts road in chatswoth ? Also pan to the northeast section of the bog, another large gray area is shown ?

Oct 25, 2006
Jim, smooth grey areas often really do mean hell. 85% of the time that is hardwood swamp with invigorating cat briar.

After the outing at the Bear Swamp Hill landing gear during early spring i know what you mean, but if permission was given by the cutts family, and with the right knee feeling great, i would like to give that area a go through this winter.

Oct 25, 2006
quite an eventful day you had. An adventure! Thanks for posting.

Jeff

There are not many things i would trade for a day or night in the pines, of course though, wife, family, home, and like minded same interest sharing, trusted, loyal friends always comes first.

Adventure awaits, next weekend barring any further bs, once i get to the oswego rd., calico-warren grove rd. area, it's out of the car and hiking time.