Calico ( Highway To Hell )

autumn_mist

May 28, 2007
Pemberton, NJ
You'll find that there are many friendly people living in the pines, but just as many (if not more) people living there that won't give you the time of day (or who you wouldn't want to be around). I hope your next trip out proves to be more successful, and I have to agree that hiking may be your best bet. Let us know how it turns out, and don't forget to always bring a camera with you on your adventures - you never know what you'll find!!

Thanks again for stopping in, I really enjoyed our conversation. It's always fun to meet someone with the same sense of exploration that I have. I hope if/when we meet again I have more stories to share with you. I've got some new places to check out, and hopefuly soon.

The Tavern is always hospitable, that is just the way the old-timers are. We have our younger crowds with the karaoke and the live music, but for the most, its just your average run of the mill old farmer or old piney.

And I promise not to use the expensive stuff on idiots... and definitely not the vodka.

Cheers :guinness:

Oct 25, 2006
:D Real good odds that on our return trip from calico this saturday that we will be stopping by for refreshment :guinness:,you know what we like, what good bartender wouldn't after stopping in for the first time.

Barring any further bs or mishap, we intend to be there between 5 and 6 pm.

But what would else be a great day out exploring in the pine barrens without a dusty car, a muddied car or getting stuck, there is a story to tell in that (stuff happens), it happened before and i am sure it will happen again, first thing when i get back to my abode, the neighbors ask, where in the hell have you been ?

Of course the wife isn't too happy:jeffd:

Take care, see you saturday.

Oct 25, 2006
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=39.70127&lon=-74.48033&size=m&u=4&datum=nad27&layer=DRG

The calico area is definitely a go tomorrow, time permitting, i will also try to do some exploring where the marker is on shamong road, the dot north of the symbol, and the pond area south of it.

Will be taking stage road to allen road to oswego road to get to calico, no problem coming home that way last weekend.

Also intend later on in the year to do some shoveling and tamping to fix up that section of road coming from martha where i got stuck last weekend so everyone can use that road, that was the only bad spot on the road, IMHO, that section of road was chewed up by someone intentionally.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jim,

Just remember that property is private. It is owned by the Oswego Gun Club. It is 110.0045 acres. The dot north of it was the gun club.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
IMG_6417.JPG

Oct 25, 2006
:D That's too close for my intents and purposes. Hopefully on the way there tomorrow i will have a good response from someone on carranza road, that's if they are home, i will report about it.

autumn_mist

May 28, 2007
Pemberton, NJ
:D Real good odds that on our return trip from calico this saturday that we will be stopping by for refreshment :guinness:,you know what we like, what good bartender wouldn't after stopping in for the first time.

Barring any further bs or mishap, we intend to be there between 5 and 6 pm.

But what would else be a great day out exploring in the pine barrens without a dusty car, a muddied car or getting stuck, there is a story to tell in that (suff happens), it happened before and i am sure it will happen again, first thing when i get back to my abode, the neighbors ask, where in the hell have you been ?

Of course the wife isn't too happy:jeffd:

Take care, see you saturday.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be there Saturday. The hubby suprised me with tickets to the XTU show tomorrow so the owner's daughter will be tending bar. Feel free to stop in and say hello!

Oct 25, 2006
Unfortunately, I'm not going to be there Saturday. The hubby suprised me with tickets to the XTU show tomorrow so the owner's daughter will be tending bar. Feel free to stop in and say hello!

:D Have fun, will stop in tomorrow for a little thirst quenching :guinness:on the way home, some other people said they would try to stop there tomorrow also, see you another time.

Oct 25, 2006
Calico ( Missing In Action )

Started off to calico early in the afternoon, on rt. 70 before chairville road going north there was a seat belt check set up by Medfords finest, five cars were pulled over, went over my friends in tabernacle today to check something out in the area, one patrol car set up on north bound side behind the trees at the seat belt check site . Be careful, it's revenue time.

Arrived in calico area from oswego-allen road at bog area, explored some up a hilly trail area across from the canal, too overgrown, will return in winter.

Went back down oswego road to a little hill area on the right hand side to show my friend around there, noticed a fire pit made of jersey sandstone, two fire extinguishers were inside of it. Sandstone also in surrounding woods.

Proceeded over to cul de sac and decided to hike little path for a while,what a mistake, it was a tick infested paradise, the deep woods off did not work, must have got a bad batch. To top things off, my friend said he was returning to the car, i said i would meet him back there in a while, as i wanted to push on for another 15 minutes.

When i finally got back to the car no friend, first thing that came to mind is that he walked to the adams site a little down the road which i was going to show him later, no problem right, i walked to the site and he was not there, went back to the car he was not there..

Next thought was that he missed the open area from the path and walked the opposite way, i started worrying, figuring he was a good hour in front of me, i first started jogging, then running down the path, about 35 minutes later after shouting all the time i heard his shouts, man was he happy that i came and found him, what was i going to do i said to him leave you here :bang:

He was starting to worry as he finally realized he went to far as he was starting to walk into a swampy area and noticed a dirt bike rut. We proceeded back down the path to the open area and then i asked him
"How did you miss this"

After getting back to the car it was deticking time, unreal, plus the flies were hell. we went past the adams site, i said i would show it to him in the winter, went to the concrete ruins at the sandy area with the dots on the topis, we found a propane cylinder, spent shotgun shells, and also alot of spent .40 caliber shells.

Got back in the car and went to allen road north to see if i recalled correctly a high embankment there years back blocking the road, made it about a mile, then the road got real bad, turned around, went back to oswego road making a left to go past munion field to rt.539, road bad in spots, some washouts, but i took the old tried and true stick to the left side in case i got stuck again. also noticed a gun club on the way to rt.539 with red no tresspassing signs on it, no name though.

Got on rt.539 north, proceeded past fire area, noticed the rebirth already happening, proceeded to rt.72 north to four mile circle to magnolia road to go to the tavern for some refreshment :guinness:, chatted up some pine barrens talk for a good bit, then off for home for a well needed shower. Once again i would like to thank the people at magnolia road tavern for the hospitality, friendliness, and the welcome, down home pine barrens feeling.

I plan on going to the Aserdaten area next weekend, weather pemitting, my clothes will be treated hopefully with permithrin by then.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
James, if you are truly serious about exploring in the summer (most of us are not, though I do go out alone on many short excursions) you should at least get rubber boots. As your friend found out, you need to really know the lay of the land as the pines are brutal in the summer. Its bad enough to get lost; but to be lost, out of water, and nagged by pine flies in high humidity is hell on earth, as I see you found out. If I were you I'd go swimming on the weekends....:)

PS: I usually only explore before noon and after 6 pm in the summer.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I usually only explore before noon and after 6 pm in the summer.

I agree on that one! I went fishing on Friday, from around 5:30 am and was done by 10:00am. The flies were really bad and later it got hot. I can't stay home though, with everything in bloom.

Oct 25, 2006
James, if you are truly serious about exploring in the summer (most of us are not, though I do go out alone on many short excursions) you should at least get rubber boots. As your friend found out, you need to really know the lay of the land as the pines are brutal in the summer. Its bad enough to get lost; but to be lost, out of water, and nagged by pine flies in high humidity is hell on earth, as I see you found out. If I were you I'd go swimming on the weekends....:)

PS: I usually only explore before noon and after 6 pm in the summer.

Agreed, i am planning to go to Aserdaten on Saturday, i have never been there before, probably will try to get to Black's Bridge, but it will only be a driving excursion just to scout out the area for a future exploration sometime during the winter months.

I forgot to mention that the big puddle at Calico was enormous, i do not think i would try that even if i still had my 85 ramcharger, the go around was almost completely covered with water, only two very small dry spots at the beginning of it.

By the way, this Sunday i am opening my backyard pool. :dance:

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I had a good day fishing, 6 bass and 2 pickerel. The bass were on the small side, but the pickerel were pretty nice. The fog was pretty thick and hung around until around 9:30, so it stayed fairly cool. All in all, a very pleasant trip.

Oct 25, 2006
I had a good day fishing, 6 bass and 2 pickerel. The bass were on the small side, but the pickerel were pretty nice. The fog was pretty thick and hung around until around 9:30, so it stayed fairly cool. All in all, a very pleasant trip.

Catching fish, not a bad day after all.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Do you like plants too?

I can't say that I know all the names, but I really enjoy being on the lakes and streams when the water plants are blooming. I need to get a field guide, a camera, and learn how to use it. Friday there were what I've always called "water lillies" in full bloom. They were as perfect as I've seen. Plus it was ok to catch some fish, too :)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I can't say that I know all the names, but I really enjoy being on the lakes and streams when the water plants are blooming. I need to get a field guide, a camera, and learn how to use it. Friday there were what I've always called "water lillies" in full bloom. They were as perfect as I've seen. Plus it was ok to catch some fish, too :)

I too find it real, real difficult to stay inside in the spring and summer. If its light out, I want to be there. In fact, it is an obsession I have. You only live once, and the real world is where its happening. I find it real strange to stay inside and watch tv when the sun is shining, even in the winter.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I too find it real, real difficult to stay inside in the spring and summer. If its light out, I want to be there. In fact, it is an obsession I have. You only live once, and the real world is where its happening. I find it real strange to stay inside and watch tv when the sun is shining, even in the winter.

Kindred spirit. I am exactly the same way. The woods are alive in the summer to the point of being almost overwhelming...and the smell of pitch pine on a hot summer day is nirvana. Summer is always an itchy time for me consequently.

Jeff