Camp food recipes

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
I know some of those recipes seem like they contain an elaborate amount of ingredients, but I make 5-10 servings of each meal at a time and I vacuum pack them so they'll easily stay good for a year or two. I dehydrate all of my own vegetables and the other ingredients are fairly easy to find.

I absolutely abhor the starchy taste of freeze dried meals and I'd rather suck on my socks after a 25 mile hike than eat Ramen noodles, so I had to find an alternative.

I'll post a few more when time permits. There are some easy to make meat & seafood sauces you can pre-packaged to add to pasta.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
If a bear is gonna get you ,it's gonna get you. They can smell a gronola bar just as well as fish frying. might as well eat hearty.

Missed my point.. some meals take longer to prep, cook, and clean up afterwards. If you're in bear country you might want to watch how long food stays out of a bear-safe canister or bear bag, especially at dusk. I'll cook in a dutch oven all night in the pines, but wouldnt touch one in bear country.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Missed my point.. some meals take longer to prep, cook, and clean up afterwards. If you're in bear country you might want to watch how long food stays out of a bear-safe canister or bear bag, especially at dusk. I'll cook in a dutch oven all night in the pines, but wouldnt touch one in bear country.

There is a place in West Yellowstone called the Grizzly Discovery Center. They sometimes test 'bear-proof' contraptions there. Very entertaining : )

Just the cook smoke on your clothes is enough scent to get a bruins attention. They have an unbelievable sense of smell.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
We stopped by the Grizzly and Wolf Center last summer (got some cool pics I'll post when I get home). As Im sure you're aware 46er, many places in the High Peaks now require the canisters and do not allow bear bags anymore.. the bears were getting too smart for them.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
As Im sure you're aware 46er, many places in the High Peaks now require the canisters and do not allow bear bags anymore.. the bears were getting too smart for them.

Marcy Dam, the Black Bear Cafe' :rofl:

I once watched a bruin pull a food bag up, paw over paw, much like it was crabbing, smart little buggers. Hanging no longer allowed.

3988154220_2c6386abe8.jpg

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Marcy Dam, the Black Bear Cafe' :rofl:

I once watched a bruin pull a food bag up, paw over paw, much like it was crabbing, smart little buggers. Hanging no longer allowed.

3988154220_2c6386abe8.jpg

Yep.. we had some bears come by our campsite there. That area gets some of the most hiker traffic back and some people really dont know how to store food properly. Once they make the humans=food connection its all downhill. Some awesome stars at that dam.

Hey Y'al: Well, September is almost upon us. You'se guys up there hardly had a summer, whilst weez down here (FL) have just reached the half-way mark of 90+ degree weather, with about 60 days of more of the same. I ain't complain'in mind you, 'cause on Jan. 1st I'll be surf-fishin in shorts and a t-shirt, like I do every Jan. 1st. Whoops, off-topic. Well, this leads me to the subject of camp cookery 'cause some of us will hit the woods and camp anticipating the retreat of blood suckin' vermin and enjoying the crisp air of autumn. So, to get things started, here's one of my favorite recipes: Prior to your trip, make a meat loaf (85/15 chuck is good) to your liking and freeze it. You can bring the veggies you want and prep them at the campsite or prepare them in advance and to your liking: sliced onions, garlic, potatoes, celery, carrots, asparagras, whatever. You'll need some aluminum foil.Lots of it. Prep your camp-fire by allowing it to tumble into itself into a deep layer of glowing coals. (It's a good idea to scoop out some sand prior to building the fire so you have a slight depression for the coals to fall into.) Take your trusty camp shovel (you still got one of them from Boy Scouts, right?) and scoop out a hollow in the coals. You already did the following (don't try to get ahead of me now !): on a large sheet of aluminum foil place the thawed or thawing meatloaf, quartered potatoes, cut carrots, the whole works. Salt and Pepper and other seasonings like Tabasco etc. Wrap it up and seal it good. Don't be skimpy on the foil. Flip it and wrap another layer of foil. Flip it and add another layer of foil. Take this big pregnant rectangle, seat it in the place of honor (the hollow), cover it with the remaining coals. Start whittling a miniature canoe out of a piece of cedar while the wonderful blend of wholesome goodness starts to cook--it's gettin' done when you can smell the wonderful amalgam of onions and beef fat and garlic and pepper and...oh my gosh, I just drooled on my keyboard ! LOL ! Depending on the size of your "loaf", takes only 45 minutes. When done ( you can also check by pressing the flat end of your shovel on the foil--if it's firm the meat is done. Biggest thing is to make sure the potatoes are done, eh? ) lift the rectangle from the coals, remove the camp salt, and take your trusty Buck knife and cut right through the foil. If you're the lucky one doing the cutting you get the first whiff of edible air ! Serve on fine china if yeah got it. If not, just eat from the foil. Be sure to bring some Italian rolls to suck up the juices in the bottom. Excuse me now while I start a campfire out in my backyard !

Man that really sounds good!

I think I'm gonna cook that this coming weekend when we take the Boy Scouts on a hikeing / camping trip.

They can cook whatever they want...the adults will cook this wonderful recipe!

Reactions: Longleaf Piney