Camp Haluwasa Founder Dead

Folks:

I meant to post this last week from the Courier Post, but I became too busy.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

ASHMEN, REV. CHARLES W.

Of Winslow Twp., NJ, age 88, went home to be with the Lord on January 5, 2008. Born in Camden, he was raised in Blackwood Terrace and lived in Colorado a short time before moving to Winslow Twp. in 1955.
Rev. Ashmen founded nationally known Camp Haluwasa, which was his vehicle to winning children and families to Christ. He was a member of the Christian Camp and Conference Assoc., Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, and the Railroad Evangelistic Assoc. He enjoyed collecting and restoring Corvairs and was an accomplished musician, known for playing the accordion.
Beloved husband of Nellie M. Ashmen (nee Gillogy). Devoted father of John Ashmen (Judi) of Colorado Springs, CO, and David Ashmen (Wendy) of Winslow Twp. Dear brother of the late Roy Ashmen (Frances) and the late Elsie Keating (the late Robert). Loving grand - father of Jason, Jesse, Janelle, Leigha and Nathanael.
Relatives and friends are invited to his viewing on Wednesday from 5:00 - 8:00 pm at the FARNELLI FUNERAL HOME, 504 N. Main Street, Williamstown, NJ. A memorial service will be held Thursday, 1:00 pm at Camp Haluwasa, 377 Ehrke Road, Blue Anchor, NJ 08037, (609) 561-3081.
Private interment will take place in Bates Mill Cemetery. In lieu of flowers contributions may be made to the Camper Scholarship Fund, c/o Camp Halu- wasa, 377 Ehrke Road, Hammonton, NJ 08037; or to the ministry of Jesse and Krista Ashmen, missionaries in Sweden c/o Torchbearers Int'l, P.O. Box 3340, Estes Park, CO 80517. To sign the guest book online, please visit www.farnellifuneralhome.com

Publication date: 1/08/08

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I honestly have never heard of this place. I see it is in Hammonton but have never read or heard of it.

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Sad the passing of someone like that but left behind is a good thing born of his endevours. I have been back there a handful of times for one reason or another. The lakes are nice, they have a little train that tours the grounds and decent buildings. It is modest, I assume to fit the background of the place. While not of that background, I believe it has done a great deal of good for a great many families. Years ago the camp organization itself was a customer of mine and there were a couple of really nice fellows I dealt with.
Thanks for posting.

For any that may be curious, HALUWASA is not some obscure native American reference. It is simply:

HAlleLUjah WAtta SAvoir

g.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Thanks for posting this, Jerseyman.

Guy, the camp is located around a pond on Pump Branch. I spent some time there as a kid.

G, I never knew the Haluwasa was an acronym of sorts. Cool.

Thanks for posting this, Jerseyman.

Guy, the camp is located around a pond on Pump Branch. I spent some time there as a kid.

G, I never knew the Haluwasa was an acronym of sorts. Cool.

Glad to do so Gabe--I thought the obituary would be of interest to some folks here. As George indicated, the camp name is based on the title of an old hymn: "Hallelujah! What A Savior!," written by prolific hymnist Philip P. Bliss for evangelist Dwight D. Moody in 1875.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
As George indicated, the camp name is based on the title of an old hymn: "Hallelujah! What A Savior!," written by prolific hymnist Philip P. Bliss for evangelist Dwight D. Moody in 1875.
Best regards,
Jerseyman

Yes,
The guys I knew that worked there Slanged the slogan up a little but the end result is the same. I was poking around on their website last night about the train and history and I noticed that.

g.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I met Charlie Ashmen about 10 years ago and he was one of the most inventive and resourceful people I have ever met.
A friend of mine from church who is 86 worked with Charlie for many years at Haluwasa and he said the same thing . My friend Nelson plays banjo and guitar and Charlie played accordion and those two could belt out some downhome gospel.
My kids did a couple summer weeks at the camp when they were younger and they loved it.
Charlie had a Willys that he drove around the grounds that had a PTO setup built into the rear bumper. It had a 24" saw blade attached and he could drop it and cut wood anywhere he happened to be. He fabricated the whole thing himself.
His biggest accomplishment, as I am sure he would agree, was introducing children to the Lord in a society where that seems to have been a forgotten part of parenting.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Charlie had a Willys that he drove around the grounds that had a PTO setup built into the rear bumper. It had a 24" saw blade attached and he could drop it and cut wood anywhere he happened to be. He fabricated the whole thing himself.

My understanding from a fellow I spoke to yesterday was that he did a great deal of the fabricating work on the train as well. Seems he was a very "hands on" type. Inventive would indeed be appropriate.

g.