Camping

Julianna

Jun 3, 2014
When we were younger we used to camp back in the woods near Carranza Memorial.
Now I know that isnt really legal but we arent starting fires or drinking. Causing any problems. We need place like that when were kid free.. dont really have the money to pay for a campsite . My husband and I judt like to set up our tent and enjoy the piece and quiet..

Does anyone have any good spot suggestions?

PINEY WARDEN

Explorer
Jan 13, 2012
When we were younger we used to camp back in the woods near Carranza Memorial.
Now I know that isnt really legal but we arent starting fires or drinking. Causing any problems. We need place like that when were kid free.. dont really have the money to pay for a campsite . My husband and I judt like to set up our tent and enjoy the piece and quiet..

Does anyone have any good spot suggestions?

Not a good idea to be illegally camping, it may cost you more in fines then it is worth if you get caught. I agree with Old Crazy, Batona is cheap enough. And there are many more campsites to choose from on Wharton. That is my opinion.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
Carranza Road is patrolled frequently. If the Park Police see a car parked there after dark, it's going to get their attention. If they see the glow of a fire or smell smoke coming from a stealth campsite, that's REALLY going to get their attention.

I can also testify that it's not a good idea to camp at a campsite without a permit, because they are all patrolled. I went to the Bass River office ten minutes before closing one day to get a camping permit for Batona Camp and discovered that that office no longer issues permits. I didn't have time to get to the State Forest offices in either Batsto or Atsion before closing to get a permit, so I decided to camp at Batona Camp without one. As I was setting up my tent a Park Policeman drove up to my campsite and asked to see my camping permit. I explained to him why I didn't have a permit and he said he'd cut me a break and not issue me a citation if I left immediately, which I did.