Sep 4, 2010
Image0574B.jpg

Reactions: WaretownMike

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy
Isn't that the foundation of the house the last person that lived in Friendship lived in?The woman you told me you talked to back in the 70"s?
Al

Yes, I believe it is. That house was still there when I first visited the pines in 1973. Chickens ran all over the road and a family lived there. It was the only building standing. Again, one of my biggest regrets was not taking a photo of it. I had a camera with me.

Guy

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Yes, I believe it is. That house was still there when I first visited the pines in 1973. Chickens ran all over the road and a family lived there. It was the only building standing. Again, one of my biggest regrets was not taking a photo of it. I had a camera with me.

Guy

I remember pigs too, 1968.

pines rider

Sep 4, 2010
Thanks

I checked them out today.

when i see ruins , i always wonder "what happened?" how long until my house becomes ruins?

thanks everybody!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I checked them out today.

when i see ruins , i always wonder "what happened?" how long until my house becomes ruins?

thanks everybody!

My best "guess" would be when the Evans and Wills descendants sold the property to the Friendship Forest Lakes development company, they forced whoever was living there at the time out. Over the years squatters moved in and eventually the place deteriorated. This all occurred before the state purchased the property in about 1982.

Just an educated guess.

BTW, who is taking these photo's? Are you following in someones footsteps?

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
As a small aside, I was out there about a year ago and found what (appears) to be a human vertebrae. Very sun-polished and clearly having been out there for some time. Any indication there was ever a cemetery in the area?

The only one is where the Charles Wills Grave is located on the road to Eagle nearby. I suspect the bones were from a deer.

Guy

The only one is where the Charles Wills Grave is located on the road to Eagle nearby. I suspect the bones were from a deer.

Guy

Could definitely be, I'm not an expert by any means and relied on Google Image searches of various critter's vertebrae to attempt to rule out all the native stuff. Kind of defaulted to human. I'll post a picture somewhere appropriate.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Thanks, Bill. Perhaps I should start a separate thread just for the old photos so they'd be more accessible.

Daniel J Montgomery

Jun 25, 2011
Brick
www.capturejerseyshore.com
Hi everyone:) Thanks for having me...Im relatively new (well, renewed. Not roamed the pb since I was 17 or so. Now Im 41 today) to the Pine Barrens. I just had a few questions. The abandoned water tower (next to the rr tracks)on Savoy rd off rt 72 near Woodland twp. Can anyone tell me what this place wase (the wide flat field that looks like a former strip mining/sand pit). Also, are there any good maps of the trails? google maps has some but theyre hard to print.