Canoe/Camp trip on the Atsyunk

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
All,

This past weekend, Yvonne and I paddled the Mullica from Atsion to Sweetwater, camping over night on a bluff overlooking the river. Water levels were high, the weather was pleasant, and the river was quiet. We got on the water just before noon and it wasn't ten minutes before we encountered a blowdown that required removing everything from the canoe in order to lift over the tree. A rough start, but things got much simpler from there.

In about an hour, the river opened up as we entered the northern stretches of what used to be a man-made lake. Here is one of a few beaver lodges in the area:

DSC00991.JPG

It was around 180 years ago that Samuel Richards dammed the river to create the lake that was. Just below the dam, Richards built a forge. He also at this time erected another forge on the nearby Batsto River which has come to be known as Lower or Washington Forge. Under Richards, the iron industry at Atsion was in its heyday. In order to accomodate the many barges that would float pig and wrought iron up and down the river, Richards constructed a lock system at this location on the Mullica. Today, a failing modern bridge marks the location of the lock:

DSC00997.JPG

After a few more hours of paddling down the Atsyunk, it was time for Sleepy. Sleepy Creek had its geologic beginnings during the last Ice Age in a large outwash plain located here: braided channel scars This intricate web of shallow stream channels was formed when torrents of meltwater washed over frozen ground. When the climate warmed significantly in the early Holocene, one of these channels was selected to be incised considerably deeper, giving us the Sleepy Creek we know today.

We took a turn up the Sleepy and paddled for some distance:

DSC01014.JPG

DSC01020.JPG

In 1765, Charles Read and John Estell dammed the Sleepy Creek to form a small pond by which a pair of sawmills were powered. Here are the cedar supports for the original dam:

DSC01027.JPG

Many thanks to my fellow PBXers for showing me this location. Incidentally, does anyone know of any other historic names for this stream?

After eating a snack atop the earthen dam, we headed back down to the stream's confluence with the Mullica. Just before arriving at our campsite, I stopped to take a shot of an osprey as it was flying away from us over a savannah:

DSC01035.JPG

We set camp around 6 o clock and started a fire to keep us warm. The air was brisk, the woods were silent, and the eating was good. At around 10 pm, the silence was broken by the eerie music of coyotes. Not to be outdone, ghosts soon appeared on the scene in the form of orbs:

CIMG0505.JPG

Or maybe they are better explained as dust particles. :)

We slept well and kept warm throughout the night. After breakfast the next morn, we packed our things and prepared for a second day on the river. Here I are striking a pose before leaving the campsite:

mullica_man.JPG

Soon we approached Constable Bridge, so named after James Constable who ran a nearby cranberry operation before selling his land to Mr. Jospeh Wharton. Constable Bridge is falling down:

CIMG0523.JPG

Not long afterward, we came upon the site where New Pond Dam once stood. In Iron in the Pines,Arthur Pierce said that this dam was built in the 1780's. He was over a hundred years wrong. The dam was built in 1895 to supply more water power to the demanding paper mill at Pleasant Mills. The dam broke in a 1939 storm, never to be mended. Not much is left today except for the earthen dam remains:

CIMG0531.JPG

A half hour later, we reached the stone buttresses of Miller's bridge. The bridge and its road were constructed in 1853 in order to transport Batsto glass products to the railroad station in Elwood. The bridge was destroyed along with New Pond Dam in the 1939 flood.

CIMG0550.JPG

The night was closing in by the time we neared our destination point:

CIMG0559.JPG

All in all, a memorable trip with pleasant company. Thanks for reading, and if anyone can correct me on any of the historical info, I am always appreciative.

Mar 10, 2008
picture still don't work for me. I don't miss much about NJ, but pictures like those in your gallery make me a bit homesick. But then I go hiking in the cascades and after a 5,000 ft ascent I'm all better. But really, I know comparing the pines to the mountains is apples and oranges.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Gabe,

Very nice report. I really enjoyed it. I have some info I will post later today and we can discuss it.

I fixed the links so that they display properly.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Gabe and all,

Here is a map of Wescoat Bogs and the streams or creeks on both sides. It actually is two photo’s merged so we can see more. Sleepy Creek is shown circled. Obviously, there are two different creeks called Sleepy in this map. That is where the problem always seems to arise with this subject. Where exactly is Sleepy Creek? All of the older maps I have do not mention “Sleeper”, but rather names it the Mechesatuxen or Machesatuxen or Sleepy as this map does. I added what is says at the bottom left.

I believe there has been much confusion over the years with this name. For example, is the location that the PBX members showed you the actual location that Charles Read and John Estell dammed the Sleepy Creek? Maybe it was on the Sleeper which my map calls the Sleepy? If you know anything to prove that is the location, then I would be interested in seeing it; however, as of yet I have no proof that what we showed you is that historical location.

I would be interested in any discussion that comes from this.

wescoat1.jpg

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
As for the location on the Sleepy being the cite of Read's and Estell's dam, I see no reason to doubt it. But let's dig a bit deeper.

Sorry Gabe, I hit the Edit button and not Quote so it looks like I edited your post.

I don't doubt that you have the correct location, I just would like to know for sure.

Guy

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
i have kayaked the mullica from atsion to pleasant mills several times.. and i never knew any of this stuff i just read.

so who wants to go again ? i'm in.. just not this coming wkend.. how was the water temp ? in the off season (and i consider if off season until mid april or may 1st), i always wear my 3 mm wetsuit, with a paddling jacket and waterproof pants over top. never gone in unexpectedly, but doesn't hurt to be ready. cheers. good show !

ICANOE2

Explorer
Sep 30, 2007
Browns Mills
Gabe, thanks for the history lesson and sharing the excellent pics.
It must have been a cold out there.
One quick question, were you camping legally?

When I did the Mullica last year I had no idea about all the historic points along the river you described.......Mike

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, you inadverdently deleted most of my last post. Are you able to restore it?

No. I am really sorry about that. The Edit and Quote button are right next to each other, and if I don't concentrate and make sure I hit the right one, I type my message into your post.

I don't remember there being more than one line. I went back in and just erased what I typed into it and that was all.

Guy

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
No biggie. I was saying that I believe that a mapping error is the culprit behind the confusion concerning the Sleeper and Sleepy branches. As far as I know, the Sleepy Creek was known as the Sleepy long before the Mechescatauxin was labeled the Sleepy. I surmise that a cartographer simply misattributed the name Sleepy to the Meschescatauxin at some point. Subsequently, in order to distinguish the two streams, a mapmaker must have changed the newly misnamed Sleepy (the Mechescatauxin) to Sleeper. Although I have not poured over enough maps to verify this, it is the only thing that makes sense to me.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, Check this out

Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Very interesting.

Also, the LH stone I looked for near there may stand for the last names of the President and Vice President, Ladd and Heulings. I have the Heulings name mentioned on some of the other portions of that map. I will post them when I can. Also, I have looked for other stones near Jackson Road in Medford with those initials.

Guy

Nov 12, 2007
atlantic county
back to the daily grind

It was a fabulous trip we didnt need any wet suits just a dry bag with extra clothes incase of an accidental tip which did not happen thank goodness :rofl: the temp was brisk but beautiful i cant wait to do it again when i can swim in the ever so inviting water one of my favorite memories is when we were on a short hike we encountered the cutest painter turtle who became my friend and at night the coyotes gave me a little scare but it was a great spring break get away not long enough though next time we'll have to go for three days :) i guess gabe lives up to the name pinelandpaddler

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Very nice Gabe. Good work on the historical points of interests. That hoodoo outfit you wore overnight, was that to scare away coyotes, or rangers? That made me laugh out loud!