Canoe/Camp trip on the Atsyunk

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
If you look where part of Sleepy creek rises from behind Westcoat bogs, it can easily be seen why those two creeks would always be confused. It seems that there is a great seep behind Westcoat where both rivers become entangled (the Sleeper Branch and Sleepy Creek).

That is prime exploring country, not for the faint of heart. We'll do that some day in sneakers and jeans.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Bobpbx said:
If you look where part of Sleepy creek rises from behind Westcoat bogs, it can easily be seen why those two creeks would always be confused. It seems that there is a great seep behind Westcoat where both rivers become entangled (the Sleeper Branch and Sleepy Creek).

Yes, the fact that for some distance the streams run very close and parallel to one another certainly explains the mapping mistake. As for the maze of channels linking them, they were formed only recently by flooding caused by beaver dams. The Westcoat operation really did a number on the Mechescatauxin, though. I still say we go back there and block off that ditch that is stealing all that water and redirecting it to that tributary of the Sleepy. :)

That hoodoo outfit you wore overnight, was that to scare away coyotes, or rangers?

The rangers, of course. :D

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
i have kayaked the mullica from atsion to pleasant mills several times.. and i never knew any of this stuff i just read.

so who wants to go again ? i'm in.. just not this coming wkend.. how was the water temp ? in the off season (and i consider if off season until mid april or may 1st), i always wear my 3 mm wetsuit, with a paddling jacket and waterproof pants over top. never gone in unexpectedly, but doesn't hurt to be ready. cheers. good show !

Gabe, how about leading a paddeling trip in May when the pines are really alive. I've paddeled this river often too, but you have told me stuff I didn't know.

Ed

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
We could of that, Ed. There are plenty of interesting historical tidbits that I left out of the report. I didn't want to bore anyone. :v:

I wouldn't be bored. Lets wait for the pines to wake up, I'll keep in touch. Is anyone else interested?

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
PLP, please bore me some more. The history in the pines is great and I thank you for making my decision of where my stimulous money will be spent....on a canoe. I will be using your post as a guide for my first trip.