Canon D60 Lense Question

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Is there an adaptor anywhere that will fit a Minolta lens on a Canon camera? I have a German lens I bought 30 years ago with a 2x adaptor that slides from 220 to 440. I also have a wide angle lens that just sits in my closet. I may buy a new camera next year and would love to use my old lenses. I suspect they are not compatible though.

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Is there an adaptor anywhere that will fit a Minolta lens on a Canon camera? I have a German lens I bought 30 years ago with a 2x adaptor that slides from 220 to 440. I also have a wide angle lens that just sits in my closet. I may buy a new camera next year and would love to use my old lenses. I suspect they are not compatible though.

Guy

Teegate, I was just reading up on the subject and I would say yes. The link explains the pros and cons better than I can...
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/eosfaq/manual_focus_EOS.html

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks! I will have to check into this more before I buy my next camera. The digital I use has a scratched lens.

Attached is the lens I have.

Attachments

• IMG_8629.JPG
    IMG_8629.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 249

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Thanks! I will have to check into this more before I buy my next camera. The digital I use has a scratched lens.

Attached is the lens I have.

Teegate, is the lens pictured an a-mount? If so, you might want to look at the newer Alpha series Sony dslr. The older Minolta lenses are a direct mount onto these cameras with no adapters. The a-mount lenses that were manufactured from 1985 to 2006 are compatible. Some features on certain lenses may not work, for example the lenses may not have an internal motor to drive the zoom. Maybe a Sony camera might be a better choice for you than a Canon.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks Gibby. I may have to hold off on that because I may be going for a new computer in the near future. Mac's are pretty expensive (at least the one I want is) so I have to concentrate on getting my head wrapped around spending that money.

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Thanks for the reminder Dogg, for an update. I had a problem with the Canon 60D and sent it back. The shutter would malfunction and not fully cycle. It was random. I returned it and was told that it would be replaced. Canons were on backorder, a few weeks ago, with no known date when to expect availability. So without dragging out the story, I replaced my Canon with a Pentax K-5. I sold the lens to my good friend and came out ahead. My current setup, is a Pentax K-5 with their kit lens of 18-55 and a Sigma 50mm F1.4. The Sigma lens I bought separate. (FYI - The K-5 is very compact DSLR.) I went to BH Photo for the camera and spent a bit on filters, a Manfrotto monopod, and a sling bag. (Thanks Boyd and Chrisr for the store tip.) I am much happier with the Pentax and like I said, it is tiny. I think I could fit a three lens kit and camera in bag for a point and shoot.

Reactions: dogg57

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Cool. B&H is a fun place to visit (if you have the self control to stay within your budget). :)

I already have the urge to pay them another visit.;) I saw a graduated filter and limited lens that I don't really need...

Thanks Dogg, I am enjoying this camera!