Cape May County Explorations

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
By the way fellers, ladies, and lurkers, as you guessed already, I don't know any more about trees and bushes than you do. In fact, this interaction with you is helping me a lot. You help confirm my analysis after I get the things home. Now, here is a branch from a bush that I never even knew existed untel the great NJ naturalist Karl Anderson spoke to me about it. I saw it on a list of a survey he performed in West Jersey, on the inner coastal plain. I found this in Cape May County on Dias Creek, and puzzled over it quite a bit. The leaf shapes are not the same throughout. I finally got it, but I forget how I did it; maybe through an image search on the net. Recognize it?

View attachment 23170
I have see that plant before many times but have never sat down and identified it

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
By the way fellers, ladies, and lurkers, as you guessed already, I don't know any more about trees and bushes than you do. In fact, this interaction with you is helping me a lot. You help confirm my analysis after I get the things home. Now, here is a branch from a bush that I never even knew existed untel the great NJ naturalist Karl Anderson spoke to me about it. I saw it on a list of a survey he performed in West Jersey, on the inner coastal plain. I found this in Cape May County on Dias Creek, and puzzled over it quite a bit. The leaf shapes are not the same throughout. I finally got it, but I forget how I did it; maybe through an image search on the net. Recognize it?

View attachment 23170
Spicebush?

Reactions: bobpbx

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Good German, how did you figure it out?
Work has had me leading many hikes between here and the northern counties over the years so I've seen it quite a bit, but I also think I first learned to ID it when I was still living in Passaic County over 45 years ago. The arrangement of the fruit is what caught my eye.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
As soon as I saw this tree on a slope to a swamp, I knew identifying it would either be impossible or readily determined. The leaves are all crowded towards tthe branch ends. Now, 4 days later, I give up. I think it's a hybrid oak; possibly Q. falcata and Q. phellos, both common down there.

DSC01713.JPG
1724546685945.png

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
The search indicates "Differential Grasshopper". Munching on Phragmites.

View attachment 23315
Great Picture Bob. I am not an insect or a plant person. However it seemed so weird to see a grasshopper on a plant normally found near a salt marsh. I understand phagmites can grow in other places too. I was just trying to assimilate them being from two different ecosystems. I would have never dreamed of making the connection.