Cape May County Explorations

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Makes me shiver just thinking about them.
have found half a dozen in the house over the years.always in the bathroom.Brother caulked up an open space where some boards had rotted behind toilet leaving space for spiders and snakes to get in.Aint seen many spiders since then,unfortunately no snakes in the house either except Mommas pet 24 year old kingsnake. have some garters and ringnecks that frequent the back yard though.

Reactions: 66C10

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
have found half a dozen in the house over the years.always in the bathroom.Brother caulked up an open space where some boards had rotted behind toilet leaving space for spiders and snakes to get in.Aint seen many spiders since then,unfortunately no snakes in the house either except Mommas pet 24 year old kingsnake. have some garters and ringnecks that frequent the back yard though.
24 years old. Wow! What is it fed.

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
24 years old. Wow! What is it fed.
We buy a dozen mice at a time.The first feeding usually three orfour till he turns his back on em are fed live.Then I kill and freeze the rest.Those have to be warmed up in hot water for ten minutes before feeding.If you feed a snake a mouse with ice still in it can cause it to throw it up or even kill the snake.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Say hey Willie! Whaddaya say.
1721836986912.png

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
A good friend of mine from my gun club just spent 12 days in the hospital from a Brown Recluse bite. He was camping in PA and it bit him while he was asleep. He now has a 15" long incision in his arm from where they had to remove necrotic tissue. :eek: I have a photo of his arm but it's too brutal to post.
That's bad, they were not supposed to be up here yet from the southern states.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Something about a field that trees love. An abscence of competition in the roots, and full sun. How many times in our lives, when we'd see a familiar old tree in the middle of a field while speeding by. They were usually bursting with life. Can you tell what it is from this distance?

DSC01590a.JPG

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
That's bad, they were not supposed to be up here yet from the southern states.

I don't think it's a North/South thing, is it? I lived in Sterling, NY near Lake Ontario for many years. The brown recluse spiders were a problem there, with lots of stories about them, going back into the 1980's at least. I saw them a few times in sheds on my property. And the winters there are brutal, much colder than here with lake effect snow that is only measured by the foot!

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I don't think it's a North/South thing, is it? I lived in Sterling, NY near Lake Ontario for many years. The brown recluse spiders were a problem there, with lots of stories about them, going back into the 1980's at least. I saw them a few times in sheds on my property. And the winters there are brutal, much colder than here with lake effect snow that is only measured by the foot!
Well, more of a midwest to south thing. Google up the range maps of the brown recluse. Your population in NY seems to be an anomoly. Like the water moccasin in NJ, the incorrect sightings are plentiful. That's not to say they are not moving towards this area.

Reactions: manumuskin and Boyd

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
By the way fellers, ladies, and lurkers, as you guessed already, I don't know any more about trees and bushes than you do. In fact, this interaction with you is helping me a lot. You help confirm my analysis after I get the things home. Now, here is a branch from a bush that I never even knew existed untel the great NJ naturalist Karl Anderson spoke to me about it. I saw it on a list of a survey he performed in West Jersey, on the inner coastal plain. I found this in Cape May County on Dias Creek, and puzzled over it quite a bit. The leaf shapes are not the same throughout. I finally got it, but I forget how I did it; maybe through an image search on the net. Recognize it?

1721924599414.png