Capewell Glass Negative Collection

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That sawmill was known far and wide for the huge sawdust pile. Fred (Fritz) Miller was there as a child and remembers it according to Ted Gordon. He has told me that many times.

Jessica and I will be out on Saturday so if we are in the area we will stop in again. However, I doubt there is anything at the location of the red arrow. Years ago Ted found many items in and on the ground at that location which he pointed out to me when we were there together a while back.

In any event, the Capewell photo's are great, and hopefully we can eventually learn more about this area.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Now that Jerseyman and Wilceau have pinned downed the location of the sawmill, I'm inspired to circle around the M and C sawmill base to see if any of the saw dust remains. There would have to be something still left from a pile of that size. I am going to have to take a close look at the shadows in the photographs to help with what direction it is away from the enclosure. I only know the old mill as a crumbled concrete base with rods sticking out of it. It is nice to see the building and life surrounding the area in the photograph.

That pile was removed long ago by various industries in the area.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jessica and I will stop in today. I tend to agree with Jerseyman on the building location. If that is correct, we can be pretty confident the building in question is not the sawmill building, rather a storage shed or living quarters.

Guy

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
That sawmill was known far and wide for the huge sawdust pile. Fred (Fritz) Miller was there as a child and remembers it according to Ted Gordon. He has told me that many times.

Guy

Guy, any idea when Fritz saw that saw dust pile?
Another way to look at it is when would he have been 10.

Jessica and I will stop in today. I tend to agree with Jerseyman on the building location. If that is correct, we can be pretty confident the building in question is not the sawmill building, rather a storage shed or living quarters.

Guy

Guy:

After reading Ed’s posts in this thread, I tend to agree with you, Guy, concerning the nature of the building. Regardless, I will be very interested to hear about what you find out there.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Just got home. I was there twice today. Jessica and I visted and after leaving we ran into our very own "Oriental" along Carranza Road and at Friendship, so we went back again with him and looked around. I will post later today on things.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I will use Jerseyman photo to discuss this.

mead-crane-sawmill-1951-jpg.3251

I am pretty certain Jerseyman hit the nail on the head with this one. Everything fits in my mind. The building sat right where the red arrow points. In this photo I am standing in the building looking north straight up the road heading north. I did not go up it today but a few years back they dug a deep hole in the road blocking access down it. Because of that the road is starting to overgrow so it is hard to see.

IMG_2371.JPG

I then walked over to the sawmill and maneuvered around to about the location where the sawdust pile would have been. The building is circled in yellow. Obviously, I need to be much higher and I should have climbed a tree and most likely moved further back.

IMG_2348.JPG

The question in all of this is why do we not have a photo of the sawmill? I am assuming we don't have one coming by the way. The 1951 aerial still shows the buildings there so is the sawmill still in operation? If I was there in 1931 I would have taken a photo of the sawmill also as it was right next to the sawdust pile. All he needed to do was turn and take the shot. Then again maybe it did not turn out.

I also took another look at the unusual gear there. It is a prefab plate and the concrete and bricks were built around it as you can see one of the corners sticking out.

IMG_2356.JPG

IMG_2362.JPG

While there we walked down to the area at the very bottom of Jerseyman's photo. A common thing to do in the pines is to take dirt from a high elevation to use for road repair or similar things. This area apparently was used just like that.

IMG_2365.JPG

Then Jessica and I headed to Howardsville. Back in 2003 we found an old car in the woods NE of Howardsville but I never took a GPS coordinate of it or kept my tracks. I wanted to complete my records so we took a very long walk trying to retrace our route from memory. Along the way we saw one tree growing more than the other.

IMG_2373.JPG

Since we were in the area of where the Lawrence Line mile marker 16 was located, I decided to check yet again to see if a stone could be found. Unfortunately, we found nothing. We turned and walked less than 150 feet and down in a swampy hole I saw this.

IMG_2374.JPG

It is far enough off of the Lawrence Line to be in the wrong location, so this is something new I need to check into. The Penn Produce Company owned quite a bit of the land in the area and some of it was at one time owned by Francis Chetwood.

Guy

Teegate:

Thanks for a great report! It is almost as good as being there in person!! I wrote to willceau illo to inquire about other Pine Barrens negatives that Capewell might have exposed on the same expedition. Joe indicated he would take a look this weekend and let me know. So, don’t give up completely on finding an image until Joes gets back to me.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Folks:

Regarding the latest Capewell photographic offering from Willceau, the relative uniformity and narrowness of the waterway and the way the trees come right up to water’s edge strongly suggests either a millrace or power canal, but in reviewing historical maps and aerial photos, I cannot ascertain precisely where John stood when exposing this image. So, for all of you who “walk the ground” on a regular basis out in the Pines, take a close look and see if you can identify the site of this photograph.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Reactions: Willceau Illo

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
For some reason, the stream reminds me of the Skit Branch by Tuckerton Road.

That is a good guess and most likely correct. He is taking the photo from the bridge which does not require him to drag his camera through the woods.

Another interesting photo.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Yes, lots of young cedar, the channel narrow and deep. I suspect Capewell did not drag his camera through that. The picture appears to be taken from the opposite bank and would imply a bridge or wet crossing.

Joe, are the negatives in some sort of order, that is, can we imply that this negative might have been taken approximately the same time as the Carranza Memorial and sawdust negatives?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I don't have a photo with a view that way. I have this one taken maybe where the man was standing.

skit.JPG

Guy

All:

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions on this image. I told Joe in an email exchange not to be surprised if the folks on this list identify the locations because some of the guys know the waterways in the Pine Barrens like the back of their hands—and you have NOT disappointed!

What an amazing resource the members of these forums comprise! Keep up the good work!!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
He more than likely came in on Tuckerton Road and as we see in the 1931 aerials there are only two decent water crossings on that route. The Batsto was in operation as bogs and the photo does not show that. This leaves the Skit in my mind as well as the others that have posted.

Guy