Carranza Road

Joe1999

Scout
Jan 21, 2007
Noticed today they widened it. From the start of the dirt road after the memorial to the bridge about 4 miles down before Friendship. I hope they arent planning on paving it.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
You know, I don't mind them paving that road. It's really rough on cars, which I think the bulk of traffic on that road is. Obviously I wouldn't want them paving it past the bridge. But it seems silly to have Carranza Rd. half-paved, and Friendship-Speedwell road be "used to be paved."

RMICKLE

Scout
Oct 3, 2005
Carson City, NV
I believe they were just cutting the small pine trees back so cars don't get pinstriped. They did the same thing from Friendship to Hawkins Bridge a year or so ago.

Of course if they would cut the grass / weeds once a year, they wouldn't have to make such a mess.

Roy

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
I have a huge issue with State dollars being allocated/spent on repairing any of these less traveled roads. Take that money and finish up the major highways/freeways and local town road, but don't spend it so some yahoo can tear it up over and over.

Joe1999

Scout
Jan 21, 2007
I have a huge issue with State dollars being allocated/spent on repairing any of these less traveled roads. Take that money and finish up the major highways/freeways and local town road, but don't spend it so some yahoo can tear it up over and over.

I agree. That sounds good to me.

You won't say that after the roads in the Pines become impassable. It is true that yahoos do some tearing up but just general use does it's share as well.

Steve

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
You won't say that after the roads in the Pines become impassable. It is true that yahoos do some tearing up but just general use does it's share as well.

Steve

Impassable may be one thing, but widening it so someone doesn't get a scratch? Come on now. I don't want my dollars going to that. Earlier in the year when Hampton Road basically washed away and fell through in an area was one thing. That was a safety issue, but again, wasting money on widening or smoothing the road is not what I want to see.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Impassable may be one thing, but widening it so someone doesn't get a scratch? Come on now. I don't want my dollars going to that. Earlier in the year when Hampton Road basically washed away and fell through in an area was one thing. That was a safety issue, but again, wasting money on widening or smoothing the road is not what I want to see.

I'm with you. also, why do we want to promote more traffic in the woods anyway? the condition of some of the roads helps to keep some areas remote. pave carranza and it will see alot more traffic. I feel that the less asphalt in the woods the better.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
It's a dual-edged sword, isn't it? One of the reasons why we have so much access to the pines is that so many of these roads (trails?) are still actually township, county, or state roads. That means they have to maintain them to some minimum standard for unimproved ways, and it also means that no matter how much of the land on either side is private, state forest, wildlife management, etc., we still get to drive in there. There are plenty of times that I see piles of trash and wish it were less accessible, but it really is a unique situation. Up here in the northern part of the state we have some large state forests that are nearly inaccessible to vehicle traffic. Not that I mind walking, but I can explore a lot more when an area is accessible to my truck.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I'm with you. also, why do we want to promote more traffic in the woods anyway? the condition of some of the roads helps to keep some areas remote. pave carranza and it will see alot more traffic. I feel that the less asphalt in the woods the better.

I agree!

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
As a dirt road, it's awful. It's really washboarded, it's wide, and there isn't too much interesting to see past the monument. Why wouldn't you want it paved? It's not like they'd pave to Hawkins Bridge or something.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I am totally against paving that road. Less accessible is better. I don't mind them fixing the bad potholes and grading it every few years as they've done in the past. Don't see any reason why they can't just continue with business as usual.

Joe1999

Scout
Jan 21, 2007
Well, its been a week or so since I started this post, and they dont seem to be paving it, so I think were in luck.