07 02 057.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 413

Medford Piney

Explorer
Feb 25, 2008
Medford
Sweet. Have you explored it?

Steve

Yes, it's pretty much in my back yard... Some of it is open space owned by the development I live in, but the school owns about 86 acres where the swamp actually is. At work we were developing plans to replace a small dam on thier property, I was doing some research on the make up of the watershed feeding the now drained lake. Here's more...

0702061.jpg

This small pond is after the swamp...

0702060.jpg

0702059.jpg

0702058.jpg

0702057.jpg

0702056.jpg

0702055.jpg

0702054.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thats a nice one! Have you kept your eye out for some interesting plants? Cedar swamps and savannas are the best.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
beautiful! i LOVE cedar swamps. such intense energy.
how does one tell the difference between a white and red cedar?

Generally, White cedars are far more common than the red. The red cedar populations seem to increase near the shore. There are a few ways of telling them apart but I usually look for small blue fruit (berries) that give away the identity of the red cedar. The fruit seems to stay on for most of the year... more or less.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
do bodies of water like that usually hold any fish ? pickerel would first come to mind.

Cedar swamps are very high in acidity, shallow, and fluctuate greatly though out the year. Fish populations are sparse, although black banded sunfish and sphagum sunfish are sometimes found. Pickerel not common here except for some red fin.

BTW: great photos MP!!!

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
i've never heard of those types of sunfish.. Pine baron was talking about some rare pine barrens only species.. maybe that is them..

Nov 27, 2007
Stockton College
Generally, White cedars are far more common than the red. The red cedar populations seem to increase near the shore. There are a few ways of telling them apart but I usually look for small blue fruit (berries) that give away the identity of the red cedar. The fruit seems to stay on for most of the year... more or less.

this only helps with female trees.. i guess i'll pick up a field guide! haha

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
chris, my observation has been the white cedars is that their needles have more of a blue-whitish tint to them as compared to the red cedars. Also, red cedars are not nearly as frequent in wet areas.

Did you knwo that neither are really cedars?

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I must echo Steve's comment.
The images you post are ones that I hold dear when walking about.
I could not be bored trekking over the same span in my own backyard day after day. An entire Ecosystem, nay, a universe exists in your backyard.
Thank you for sharing and continue to enjoy.

g.

Nov 12, 2007
atlantic county
hehe

junipers and cypress trees are different from the Atlantic white cedar and red cedar trees which grow in NJ, the berries on a the Atlantic white cedar are pointy not rounded like the female red cedar Chris it is hard to tell the two male trees apart unless they are side by side. In double trouble state park a white and red cedar are growing side by side i will take you there some day and show you