Cell Phone Reception

bicycle tim

Scout
Jun 9, 2018
tabernacle, nj
For years i have used Verizon as my cell phone carrier because it was the only carrier that was somewhat reliable in the Pine Barrens. Comcast has offered mobile service, on what they say is the Verizon network, at a substantial difference in cost. Just wondering if anyone has experience with Comcast mobile in the Pine Barrens.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
From what I've read, the coverage should be exactly the same. It's just Verizon service, so I don't know why there would be a difference in reception. The difference is in how it's priced when bundled with other Comcast services. I switched from Verizon to AT&T in 2009 because I wanted an iPhone and Verizon didn't support that yet. I find very little difference between the two. Can't get Comcast here, so this deal wouldn't help me (and not interested in cable tv or landline phones either). :)

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
Yes, Comcast is operating as an MVNO = Mobile Virtual Network Operator, meaning they are buying tower use from someone else, Verizon in this case I'm pretty sure. So coverage will be the same as Verizon. Similar to TracFone, which is an MVNO using AT&T towers in this area. From my experience, within Bass River State Forest, coverage is pretty bad for both AT&T and Verizon, with maybe Verizon being less bad in more areas than AT&T.

Reactions: h2ochild and Boyd