Cellar Holes

PBJ1971

Scout
Oct 19, 2004
Belleplain, NJ
Okay, now that I feel like a total arse...how do you know when you've found a cellar hole??? I have been digging around Belleplain (where I live) for fun and specific reasons, and think I found a cellar hole off of Hoffman's Mill Road. Tips, etc. please...thanks :)

Heather Tucker

Epitaph in Nantucket, Massachusetts 1880

Under the sod and under the trees
Lies the body of Jonathan Pease:
He is not here, there's only the pod
Pease shelled out and went to God.

PBJ,
When you say "digging" I hope you don't mean literally digging.
To answer your questioin, cellar holes are depresions in the ground. Sometimes there are reminants of a foundation wall still intact. Sometimes there is only some debris remaining. Sometimes there is no foundation or debris at all and you must use size, shape and location to determine if it may have been a cellar hole.

Steve

PBJ1971

Scout
Oct 19, 2004
Belleplain, NJ
Oh no, I meant digging in a figurative way--not so sure I'm that much of an arse (LOL)! The spot in particular I was looking at is a 1 foot deep depression in the ground that's about 3 feet across. There are no signs of a foundation that I can see. My interest is nowhere near uprooting a possible relic/artifact/historic site--it's the story of a murder mystery of sorts (in 1925) and it had my interest piqued. Sorry about that... :)

BEHR655 said:
PBJ,
When you say "digging" I hope you don't mean literally digging.
To answer your questioin, cellar holes are depresions in the ground. Sometimes there are reminants of a foundation wall still intact. Sometimes there is only some debris remaining. Sometimes there is no foundation or debris at all and you must use size, shape and location to determine if it may have been a cellar hole.

Steve

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
three ft square is kinda small for a cellar hole even by yesteryear standards.methinks you may have found the outhouse.I"ll try and make it there to check this weekend Heather.it"s only 20 minutes away from me.
Al