"Central Hotel"

jerseychief

May 2, 2010
Has anyone heard of a hotel in the pines that was called "Central Hotel"? Would appreciate any information. Thanks.

Has anyone heard of a hotel in the pines that was called "Central Hotel"? Would appreciate any information. Thanks.

Jerseychief:

I think I recall a couple of Central Hotels, but I would really need you to provide an area or at least a time period for this place. If you can provide me with some guidance, I may be able to help you.

Boyd:

I could be wrong, but I don’t remember Pinehurst or Pinewald ever being called the Central Hotel. Perhaps Heathenclerk or someone else can more shed light on this matter.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

jerseychief

May 2, 2010
It's a long shot, but I'm thinking Ocean County, maybe Manchester or Lakehurst area. Sometime in the late 1800s early 1900s.

It's a long shot, but I'm thinking Ocean County, maybe Manchester or Lakehurst area. Sometime in the late 1800s early 1900s.

Jerseychief:

If Monmouth County works for you, Long Branch had a Central Hotel. The big hotel in Manchester/Lakehurst was the Pine Tree Inn. It is possible that Lakehurst had a small hotel named Central, perhaps somewhere near the station, but I am not aware of it and, believe me, I should be! :)

Best regards,
Jerseyman

P.S. I even checked Lakewood without any good results.

jerseychief

May 2, 2010
:) There was Whalen's Central Hotel in Lakehurst. The Historical Society Museum has a painting of it and a guest register. If you are look for a guest, we can look through the register. email us at lakehursthistoricalsociety@gmail.com
Thanks Sandi,

I found what is commonly known as a "good for" token. I found it metal detecting in the Lakehurst/Manchester area. It says "Central Hotel" good for 5 cents. It appears to be brass. Any info on the token would be helpful.

Sandi Stark

May 30, 2011
Awsome. I need to check with the other members to see if they know anything about it. Is there any possibility you could scan and emaila photo of it to me? Sometimes actually seeing an item will jog a person's memory. Please email the scan to lakehursthistoricalsociety@gmail.com It will take a little time to get back to you as the museum is only open on Wednesdays and Sundays and we may have to circulate the photo amongst the non-computer members plus we'll have to look through the files and the research notebooks from William S. Dewey. Sandi