Centralia

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
You guys are killing me. I swore off beer for at least 60 days as part of an effort to lose about 20 lbs. I'm 215 right now and my 36s are getting mighty tight :cry: The last beer I had was River Horse Belgian Frostbite, brewed in Lambertville on the banks of the Delaware. Mmmmmm...I can almost taste it :guinness:

Oct 25, 2006
:D badfish,jimbo,i never had that beer,is it like guiness?lambertville is just a hop away from me,matter of fact,i have to take the kid over his friends house in yardley later,it looks like 95 north,dropoff,over the scudders falls bridge to rt.29 north to lambertville,got my taste buds aroused.

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Belgian frostbite isn't a stout, but its got a lot of carmel malt, very full and dark, a perfect winter beer. They make a few different varieties though-I recommend them all!

If you're coming north on 29 the main drag, Bridge Street, is a left (Big gas station on the corner-Exxon I think) and the brewery is the last right before you go over the bridge into New Hope. They have tours and sampling everyday 12-5. Lambertville is a really cool old river town to visit too-great restaurants.

www.riverhorse.com

Oct 25, 2006
:D in the early 80's,i recall eating in a restaurant called the frog rock inn,north of lambertville,is it still there?

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
So there's no way to put that fire out? If they could bulldoze the entire area, expose the mine, then let the rain put it out, maybe that would work?
This is the first time I have heard of a fire that burns for years and years (with the exception of the Iraq oil wells).
Must have been alot of coal down there. I'm suprised they haven't at least tried to put the fire out. I guess it's yet another example of the dangers of caol mines.

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
They have thought of a lot of ways, but there's just no feasible method. From what I've read, the fires burn pretty deep in most places. The spots where you see smoke, steam, and cracked/heaved earth is just where the seam is close to the surface. There's at least one other coal fire burning in Pennsylvania and more than a few around the world. There's one in China that emits more carbon dioxide in a month than all the cars in the world do in a year or something like that.

Anyway, speaking of coal has anyone read anything about coal liquification? The Governor of either Minnesota or Montana (can't remember which) is pushing it pretty hard since Montana alone could satisfy our energy needs with coal for something like 60 years. The process turns dirty coal into clean burning diesel fuel. The only problem is it releases carbon dioxide in the process but apparently they're working on ways to capture it and use it somehow. South Africa used to use it (and I think they still do) to produce fuel since at one time the world pretty much refused to sell them oil because of Apartheid. The Nazi's invented it because they were starved for fuel until Hitler was able to take control of Romania's oilfields.

Apparently we have enough coal to last for something like 800 years. Most of it is just sitting in the ground because it is high sulfur which we don't burn anymore because of acid rain. So, we'll see I guess...

Oct 25, 2006
never heard of that place but looks very interesting,knobles grove is awsome haven't been in years and yuengling tour, that would be cool:guinness:

there is also a place on rt.22 west of hamburg in lenhartsville called roadside america,biggest train platform i ever seen,houses,mostly everthing made by hand,great for kids,they can operate alot of the displays,i think it puts northlandz to shame,worth a visit.