Charles Read: Part 4 – Exile

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
This rounds out the series on Charles Read. I could have probably written ten more articles about him - he was quite the Renaissance man. Theres a whole other side to him - his fascination with nature and agriculture - that I did not even touch upon.

If anybody is interested in reading further, pick up the excellent Ploughs and Politicks by Carl Woodward. It's long out of print but I'd imagine that most libraries would have a copy. It's quite a hefty book, but a real definitive tome on the life of Charles Read.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
He was Anglican, but had very strong Quaker leanings. His wife attended meetings with the Friends in Evesham, yet wasn't a Quaker.

Interestingly enough, the son, Charles Junior was a colonel in the New Jersey militia. However he took advantage of an offer by the British to lay down his arms in exchange for protection. Of course, there wasn't much protection - he was soon caught by the Continental Army, jailed in Philadelphia for a time, released back to Etna, and lived out the rest of his (short) life known as a traitor.

Reactions: Hinchman's Hill

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Quite a bit of work Ben! Thanks for the interesting information.

BTW, I think you need to change this date to 1775.

It wasn’t until May of 1755 that Charles Jr. found out about his father’s death.

Guy