Chasing turkey vultures

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Confused and angry birds hovered over a township neighborhood Thursday.
They were looking down on a fallen comrade hanging upside down from a pine tree in Kay Schuh’s backyard off Cripps Drive. They didn’t seem pleased about the situation.
A dead turkey vulture was hung from the tree by the U.S. Department of Agriculture earlier in the day in an effort to chase off hundreds of vultures that have been hanging out each night in the neighborhood near Buttonwood Lake from fall to spring.
Over the last decade or so, large numbers of vultures have been roosting in trees in the neighborhood at night, leaving their feces on residents’ homes, properties, yards and vehicles.
Nothing residents have done to chase the birds away has worked: not banging pots and pans, shining lights at them or trying to shoo them away. So experts were called in.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/loc...cle_ba83aad9-335b-59f4-9b5b-3db9df7a3ad5.html

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
They are freaky birds in that they don't make any noise, just rustle their wings and look at you. I have a friend in Jackson who has black-headed vultures roosting on the house next door. They are a little more agressive.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Main_Logo.jpg

Should be around the same time this year.

http://eastcoastvulturefestival.org/about.htm

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
There will be no East Coast Vulture Festival in Wenonah this year. From what I am told the vultures have moved on

What a shame, and such a loss for the good people of Wenonah :D

But fear not, the party has moved to Hinckley OH, were they have celebrated in early March since 1957:dance:

BuzzardTShirt1.jpg

amf

Explorer
May 20, 2006
Swedesboro
As a kid I used to lay in the field behind our house & try to play dead to attract them. Never seemed to work.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Today in Jackson I saw the largest wake of vultures I have ever seen! It must have been 100 vultures! At first from a distance I thought it was a large flock of turkey because all of the birds were on the ground. As I got closer I relized all the birds were vultures. All the vultures were in a grassy area with a southern exposure. I wonder if they were all there taking in the warmth of the sun?

CurMUDgeon

Scout
Apr 30, 2010
Where needed.
I saw the dead vultures hanging in the tree tactic employed without success at the Royal Palm Visitor's Center parking lot in Everglades National Park. The Black Vultures - Coragyps atratus - there have developed a taste for windshield and sunroof gaskets and can do an incredible amount of damage in a short time. Those people in the know who frequent this place will tarp their cars and prevent the vultures from getting to the "tasty bits"!
The Egg Harbor City flock is in fine shape with large numbers of both Turkey and Black Vultures. They still sun themselves in the morning and congregate on the water tower with their wings outstretched. The night roost is in a number of the tall evergreens over near the police department.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I personally love watching these fascinating "cleaners" spanning the skies. We got no shortage of them back here and sometimes I just gaze up and watch them. For a bird that looks like something the Lord bestowed with all the leftover "ugly" he didn't spread around elsewhere, and a bird that looks like a silly fool taking flight, (It can be a funny riot watching a bunch leave tree branches)once in the air they are a thing of elegance, grace, and beauty, riding thermals for hours in my little mind anyway. The way that they work together and seem so communal is fascinating. On a cool morning when you see a bunch of them in a row on a fence, in some trees, or some woeful homeowner's roof, sunning, warming their wings for flight they are very imposing and a ominous lot.
I got no problem with them at all, but then they aren't leaving streams of their acidic crap eating away at my shingles.

g.