Chatsworth Club......

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you look closely on the right towards the bottom, you can see a horse and some sort of carriage. The name looks like maybe Agnes.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You have to think how hard the scavengers had to work to remove all of that. They were in heaven!

Guy

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
Chatsworth Cranberry Ass..jpg

These are the cranberry picker tickets that were associated with the Chatsworth Club property. Jonathan Godfrey was president and may have run the bogs for the Prince. The bogs were sold in 1940 to Albert Stevenson and Anthony DeMarco. Very shortly thereafter, DeMarco bought out the Stevenson interest. The Estlo and Green families of Chatsworth had a connection to the Stevenson family back then. It would be interesting to see a title search of the property to see exactly how the property changed hands.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
My God, that thing was huge!! Six visable chimneys. Shouldn't the foundation still be there from something that gigantic. There is an open dirt area on the western side of the lake that I recall might have been a clay pit or something. I wonder if that was the spot. On the eastern side is a house set back from the lake a bit, lots of field. That could have been it also.

Stu, the bricks that you saw...did it seem like there was a sizable foundation around?

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
The reason it is no longer there is once the prince left, sometime after that it was set fire and burned down. There is still a hole there and your can still see bricks and pieces of chimney. It is amazing to think that was there at one time. The building was huge, built by the prince and a wealthy philadelphian.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I'm new and still looking around the website. Wow! I just looked at the post card of the Chatsworth Country Club (posted 11-14-2005 by Oriental), that place looked huge! I've fished Chatsworth Lake for years and often wondered what the scattered bricks were from.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Welcome to the forum. I am an avid pickerel fishermen myself. I've fished Chatsworth lake but mostly from the shore or with waders. I never caught anything huge out of the lake but I never got all around it. Lots of small to medium fish, how have you made out there?

Jeff

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Thanks for the welcome. I've caught about the same, plus some small catfish, at Chatsworth. I put my canoe on it, you can see an old brick pillar on it's side, from the water at one spot. That's where I first noticed the bricks. Pretty interesting.
Lately I've been fishing Batsto Lake or Harrisville Lake. Is Chatsworth Lake open? Wasn't it closed for awhile? My brother had some kind of notice put on his car last year when he stopped there.

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
chatsworth lake closing

Hey Piker56, i also had a notice put on my car last year,when i called the guy he said it would be closed for about a year then opened for light use ,fishing canoeing ,hiking birding ,but no motor vehicle traffic will be allowed on the property. Not even on the shoulder. I've fished the lake for 32 years and i've caught two pickerel out of there that were 2 pounds but none any bigger
If you want to have fun sometime go get about 3 dozen minnows and just use a small weedless hook and cast just that all over even in to the stickups
Tom m

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Boyd said:
So is there an "approved" parking area for visiting the preserve?

They are going to have an entrance off of 536 eventually, but as of yet you can't drive on their property. I park on the road and walk.

Does anyone know differently?

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
That is my understanding Guy! I park along the roadside. As for Chatsworth lake, some one on this forum wrote a letter asking about fishing it and they said no problem but no motors (thank God) and only catch and release. I don't know if permission needs to be granted on an individual basis.

Jeff

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
electric motors

hi guys.. i'm new to this forum.. but a lifetime resident (27 yrs) of tabernacle.. minus my time in New brunswick and philly for school (still ongoing)..

i've fished in chatsworth lake a few times.. when i had permission from Mr. DeMarco to do so.. now that's its owned by the conservation soceity, i'm glad responsible usage is still allowed..

RE: motors.. are small elec trolling motors not allowed as well ? it's fine if they're not.. the canoe is easily paddled.. i'll just have to make sure my dad is up for it (he's a bit older).. but i can do most of the paddling.. thanks guys. i think i caught a redfin pickerel in here once.. i know most in the PB's are the chain pickerel.

Bob

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Welcome to the site Bob. I fished Chatsworth for many years. Redfin Pickerel? I never caught one anywhere, that was a good catch. Not sure about the electric trolling motors, you should check their web site. There are a lot of stumps though, paddling may be better. I also am glad to see it open again.

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
There are a lot of stumps though, paddling may be better. I also am glad to see it open again.

ah yes. the stumps.. i remember that .. THUMP THUMP.. i think i'll opt for paddlin and keep the elec trolling motor safe at home.. do you have a link to their site ? cheers.