Chatsworth Cranberry Festival

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I will definitely pick up the CD next time I'm down there. I have just the one guitar at this time, and the D-18 is versatile enough to do the simple stuff I do. Plus I don't worry about banging it up because it has already been characterized. :).

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
You know what is funny about the Cranberry Festival? It has nothing to do with cranberries. Besides cranberry wine and cranberry bread, I saw nothing regarding cranberries, what they look like, how they grow them or how they harvest them. I'm not really complaining because I go and do enjoy it. I take it for what it is. I just find it odd that a company like Ocean Spray didn't even have a tent set up. Maybe I missed it, so I do apologize in advance if that is the case.

What I did like is getting a chance to peek in the old hotel. It seems like since I was a kid that place was boarded up and I'm glad they refurbished it. I didn't get a good look around but noticed the floors looked really cool. Real wide planks, you don't see that anymore. What I thought was really neat was the Lionel Blue Comet train set in the case when you walk in to your right. That was awesome and I'm sure it is worth a pretty penny.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I just find it odd that a company like Ocean Spray didn't even have a tent set up. Maybe I missed it, so I do apologize in advance if that is the case.

Yesterday they were right near the hotel giving out free samples of their new Cranberry/Pomegranate drink. Very nice! We looked for it in two stores this weekend with no luck. Maybe it is too new to find yet.

So yes there were there, at least on Saturday.

Guy

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
Went last year and yes the overwhelming feel of the place is a giant flea market having nothing to do with cranberries But...................
They have live music which was nice
You can buy individual cranberries and pies, pastries etc. from the growers right along 563.
You can check out the aforementioned White Horse Inn
there is a wealth of Pinelands info available from a variety of sources
Free wine samples
check out the Blue Comet rail bed right behind the Firehouse sit right down on the ties and think about the history of "The Capital of the Pines"
If your wife or girl likes the country crafts thing as mine does this place is a mecca for that stuff.
Did I mention the free wine samples?

Unfortuneately the crowds are huge parking lot fill up so you may have to park all the way down by Chatsworth Lake (that's actually not that bad)
The traffic around the festival is crippling

Overall get there early in the morning and check it out. You might even run in to me there Saturday (near the wine:)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My wife tried the samples, and bought three bottles. She did buy two of them for her parents though. :)

Guy

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
That's cool. I keep her store pretty well stocked. How was the fishing?

Jeff

That Friday was the day the cold front came through. It was like casting in a wind tunnel. I couldn't get my canoe out in the wind, I used waders. I managed to catch 1 pickerel, but I spent most of the day exploring the marshes, and bird watching. Saw some interseting stuff. Also, the lake level is down a little and there are some brick piles exposed that I'd never seen before. All in all a great day.

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
I somehow missed the Ocean Spray stand. I'm glad they were there. Like I said before I know the festival has little to do with cranberries but I do like it. At least it gets some people out to Chatsworth and they can see the pines and maybe it turns a couple of people on to them and might make them want to see what else is out there. Another thing I like it is a chance to meet up with friends and family. Any place that has a lot of food and live music can't be that bad right? Haha. My friend brought her mini Australian Shephard with her and we couldn't get 5 feet before someone asked what kind of dog is that? How big will get? How can I get one? Etc etc. Should have either left the dog at home or purchased a spot and sold a couple.

NewSchoolPiney

Explorer
Jun 16, 2003
Boston, MA
www.pinemind.com
My friend brought her mini Australian Shephard with her and we couldn't get 5 feet before someone asked what kind of dog is that? How big will get? How can I get one? Etc etc. Should have either left the dog at home or purchased a spot and sold a couple.

I hear you on the mini Aussie interrogation. My red merle is only 7 months old and everywhere I go, I get a billion questions. I don't mind most of the time, but they're never from hot chicks, usually old women. Except for the ones like this:

So where did you get your mutt from? (serious)

What kind of mix is your dog?

Oh well. I would've gotten a full size but living in apartments/townhouses and such for the next 3+ years of my life just wouldn't be fair to that dog with that amount of energy.

She loves camping in the Pines though. I took her camping when she was only 4 months old!

Peace,

Justin