Chernobyl Ghost Town

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
bruset said:
An interesting link I came across tonight.

http://www.kiddofspeed.com/

Very interesting ruins.

An excellant documentary. Absolutely riveting. I recommend everyone view this.

I enjoy low taxes due to Oyster Creek Power Plant. But money isn't everything I guess.

In the story she writes...."The firemen were the first on the scene, and they thought it was an ordinary fire. No one told them, what they were really dealing with." Sounds eerily like 911, no?

Roostriz

Scout
Feb 16, 2005
Egg Harbor
Hey Boyd,
Do you have any background on that site you posted. I wonder what happened to that place?

Nevermind I found it on the site.... fascinating none the less.

PBJ1971

Scout
Oct 19, 2004
Belleplain, NJ
BobM said:
An excellant documentary. Absolutely riveting. I recommend everyone view this.

I enjoy low taxes due to Oyster Creek Power Plant. But money isn't everything I guess.

In the story she writes...."The firemen were the first on the scene, and they thought it was an ordinary fire. No one told them, what they were really dealing with." Sounds eerily like 911, no?

What's scary is we are being offered a beautiful home in Penns Grove instead of gong through the hassle of living here...too damn close for comfort to the Salem Plant...

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
If any of those plants go up, the entire region will go with it. So it really doesn't make much difference if you live on top of it or if you're 50 miles away.

Maybe it will take you longer to die the further you live.

That said, safety mechanisims on US reactors are TOTALLY different than those on Soviet ones. The Soviets cut a lot of corners because they thought "hey, we've never had an accident - we don't need this." Chernobyl went up because they were doing a dangerous test - trying to get power out of a reactor that was being shut down, and in the process turned off all of the automatic safety features.

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
Fascinating photo's and story of Gunkanjima. I wonder if there are any rats and roaches left on the island? Japan is such a populace country, do you think that the plans for the luxury condo's and yacht basid are being drawn up?

Gillian