Chetwood Brickworks

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you have read “Iron in the Pines”, you may have noticed a mention of Francis. B. Chetwood in the Martha chapter. Chetwood bought portions of what was the Martha Furnace tract sometime after 1848. Pierce says that on this map it shows the town of Chetwood about 2 miles above Martha, near the site of a reported brickworks. This would place it somewhere near Nash’s cabin either on or between state property. However, Pierce mentions that it may have died an early death. BTW, according to my records the state does not own Nash’s cabin.

Anyway, have any of you ever read anything on this before other than in Iron in the Pines? Would be interesting to know where this place is reported to be.

Guy

TrailOtter

Explorer
Nov 24, 2007
Guy

Something else for me to look into :) I missed that reference when I first went through "Iron in the Pines" and it now has my curiosity. I went online to look through the maps at Rutgers and 'Chetwood' appears on this map from 1890 - it appears to be in the same location as Martha, up the road from Harrisville.
http://mapmaker.rutgers.edu/HISTORICALMAPS/NJ_1890_S.jpg

If I find anything that actually helps, I'll let you know..... :D

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks. I was reading an article recently where the person had found something about two miles above Martha and was wondering if it was the Chetwood Brickworks. I will have to dig that out and read it again.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Found it.

Guy

A few miles above Martha Furnace, our armada of canoes pulled up at what looked like an old sand-wash, a combination of bog meadow and high ground within a few hundred feet of one another. Could this have been the site of Chetwood, that business venture that Arthur Pierce tells about in Iron in the Pines, I wondered?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Guy

Something else for me to look into :) I missed that reference when I first went through "Iron in the Pines" and it now has my curiosity. I went online to look through the maps at Rutgers and 'Chetwood' appears on this map from 1890 - it appears to be in the same location as Martha, up the road from Harrisville.
http://mapmaker.rutgers.edu/HISTORICALMAPS/NJ_1890_S.jpg

If I find anything that actually helps, I'll let you know..... :D

That is a cool map. I don't remember ever seeing it, or hearing of some of the things on it. Ben should snag it for the collection. There is a "Mount Relief" for Mount Misery?

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
The Chetwood on that 1890 map appears to be right where Martha was, not above it. You can see where the road comes in across the river, which is not far from where the furnace was located. By 1890 Martha was pretty much gone, wasn't it? I wonder if 'Chetwood' was some attempt to revive it.

Edit: this has gotten me curious now. Old maps are so fascinating... and so frustrating at times. I looked at maps from 1812 through 1890 and the furnace area above Harrisville is variously labelled as "Martha Furnace," "Martha", and "Oswego." Two maps of southern Burlco from 1872 use the name Oswego.

Here's something maybe a little interesting. On this 1885 map there is a feature to the right of Martha Rd. at the location we were discussing in the posts above.

martha_1885_north.jpg

Here I have highlighted it...

martha_1885_north_a.jpg

I would guess this is a field of some kind. It's right across the road from the other area in the map view I linked to. Here's what I find cool: I think you can still see this feature. Here is a GE image...

ge_martha_north.jpg

And here again I have highlighted it...

ge_martha_north_a.jpg

I love orbital archaeology :). Anyway, not sure if this has anything to do with the supposed Chetwood, about which I have not been able to find anything else so far. None of the maps I have shows a Chetwood in the location above the furnace.

TrailOtter

Explorer
Nov 24, 2007
You could be right Mark - Martha closed down in the 1840s - could be Chetwood was an attempt at rebirth much like the stages Atsion went through - something else to look into :)

TrailOtter

Explorer
Nov 24, 2007
Nice map Mark - notice another area similarly delineated to the right of the one you marked....could be interesting to check out both areas.

Maryln Schmidt has a new book: Towns Lost but Not Forgotten. Here is what she has for Chetwood:

"Around 1858 Francis B Chetwood acquired Martha's Furnace or the Oswego Tract. He subdivided it into 34 sections selling all but one which he reserved for himself.....He listed on a map this place named after himself. The town was never built as the railroad was never built in this area."

So we have Chetwood and Oswego - no mention of a brickworks tho. I'm planning a trip to the state library in Trenton soon do some research for a project of my own and will add this to the list of things to search for.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Nice find. So it was basically an attempt to leverage off the fact that there used to be a town there, and create a new one as a speculative venture. Interesting that he sold all the lots but never built the place. I'll have to ask her about that next time I am in the store.

TrailOtter

Explorer
Nov 24, 2007
from A Pennsylvania Pioneer: Biographical Sketch with Report of the Executive Committee of the Ball Estate(1900):

"....April 14, 1859, Ellen M. French, Levi French, Sarah A. French and Francis B. Chetwood seized of a certain tract known as the Martha Tract....said Ellen M., Sarah A., Francis and Levi French being minors, application was made to the Orphans' Court of Burlington County by said Chetwoood for appointment of commissioners to divide said real estate....April 30...division could not be made without great predjudice and teh court thereupon ordered said commissioners to sell said real estate at public sale....confirmation of sale September 1859....all of the 18,000 acre tract described as in deed William Allen to Francis B Chetwood, called the Martha Furnace or Oswego Tract."

I am a little confused of the mention of "Francis" among the French children but I guess looking at the deed from which this information was obtained may clear that up....but at least we now have a date of sale :)

Mark and TrailOtter:

I've been enjoying checking in from time to time and reviewing the progress you've made on your research. Not to spoil your fun, but I thought I might be able to assist you in your efforts to document the hamlet of Chetwood.

Francis B. Chetwood, an attorney from Elizabeth, Union County, served as the first elected president of the Raritan & Delaware Bay Railroad. As TrailOtter found in the Ball estate record, William Allen conveyed the Martha Furnace tract to Chetwood in 1859. Prior to this acquisition, Chetwood purchased 23,000 acres as agent for the New York broker Joseph D. Beers. This land included the Jones Mill and Union Forge Tracts. When Chetwood gained control of the Martha Tract, he renamed it the Oswego Tract and subdivided the land into 34 sections or parcels. Chetwood reserved about 300 acres at the site of the old furnace for himself and then sold off most of the remainder between 1860 and 1863 to Amory Edwards, a retired silk merchant and land speculator. Some historians suggest that Chetwood acquired the Martha Tract because the original route of the R&DB would pass right through the land. However, by the time Allen conveyed the land to Chetwood, the R&DB already realized that this routing would not work and began planning a more westward route for the tracks.

Sometime in 1862, Chetwood had platted his new community, named for himself. During the same year, Benjamin F. Clark applied for a post office under the name "Chetwood." That postal facility opened on 29 January 1863. In his application, Clark indicated that the town contained about a dozen families with more planning to move into the nasccent hamlet. Located about eight miles northwest of New Gretna and off the primary mail route, Clark offered to carry the mail to and from New Gretna "…at no cost to the Post Office Department."

Clark remained postmaster at Chetwood until 16 December 1864, when Ruth Drew succeeded Clark in that role. The Chetwood Post Office continuing serving the few families living nearby until 4 June 1866, when the Post Office Department ordered the office discontinued. Francis B. Chetwood died in 1875, which likely doomed the fledgling community to ignobility. An 1882 New Jersey Gazetteer describes Chetwood as:

"Chetwood (Burlington County), a hamlet on the Oswego River, opposite the hamlet of Oswego."

Regarding the material in Pierce's book, I think old Arthur may have confused Harrisville with Martha when he mentioned the two-mile figure, for the same gazetteer just cited describes the community of Oswego as:

"Oswego (Burlington County), a hamlet on the Oswego, the upper part of the Wading River, 2 miles above Harrisville, and 8 miles s.s.e. of Harris."

While the East Plains certainly contain clay deposits, I have never found any documentation of a brickyard or even a clay pit in the immediate area of Martha Furnace. A review of literature from the New Jersey Geological Survey, including the 1836, 1840, and 1856 interim reports, along with George H. Cook's comprehensive 1868 volume, Geology of New Jersey, failed to describe any type of clay works in this area.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Thanks, Jerseyman. Fascinating material. So there was a "hamlet" named Oswego on the river opposite Martha? That's maybe the most interesting thing I got out of that report. I wondered why the location is marked as Oswego" on several 1870's maps I have seen.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks Jerseyman. I am sure the map maker of the above mentioned map just removed the Martha name and placed Chetwood's there.

Guy

Mark:

Of the two settlements, Oswego is older than Chetwood. I have primary source references to Oswego from 1852. Henry Bisbee, writing in his work, Sign Posts, suggests that Oswego existed as a community from 1850 to 1890. He also states that Oswego "replaced" Martha as a hamlet, so, unless Chetwood stood on the west side of the river, there is still a bit of a mystery here. When I have an opportunity, I will pull out my 1861 Kitchell map of New Jersey and determine what that map depicts for settlements in and around Martha. I will let you know.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I've always thought all the notable activity took place on the east side of the river at that spot, which is what has me so curious now. I need to go back and look at research, but various sources I have read suggested that there were community structures and housing associated with Martha on the east bank, as well as up the road near what is labelled Callico on many maps. What I haven't seen is any reference to the east bank, so now I want to go nose around over there. It would make sense that if Martha were a thriving furnace town, it would spill across the bridge.