Chigged

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Without undue delay and a steady purposeful sweep of the hand, GET THEM OFF!

chigged.PNG

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have been lucky so far. I need to remember to bring the Off when I go now. I had a can in my bag a few weeks ago and it must have sprayed. It was all over my camera and turned the black to white. I thought it had damaged it. My food was ruined also.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
I have been lucky so far. I need to remember to bring the Off when I go now. I had a can in my bag a few weeks ago and it must have sprayed. It was all over my camera and turned the black to white. I thought it had damaged it. My food was ruined also.
A hard lesson I learned when I started backpacking is...never keep my insect repellant in the same compartment of my backpack as my food. :(

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

If the OFF your using has DEET, it will melt plastic and other stuff. Can ruin a camera if it's on your hands. Picaridin is safe.

'DEET will damage plastic materials, so do not apply DEET formulations on or near plastics, acetate, rayon, Spandex, synthetic fabrics (other than nylon), furniture finishes, leather, watch crystals, and painted or varnished surfaces. Plastic glass frames and goggles should be protected from DEET applications. Car finishes and interiors also may be damaged by DEET. It will not damage nylon, cotton, or wool fabrics.'