Chigged.

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
on my rides back home from the pines i take a balled up piece of duct tape (sticky side out) and hit my arms and wrists with it or any time i feel an itch. the duct tape pulls them off geat and works on clothing too.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Before dousing your itching legs in a hot tub of water for relief, add some espom salt to the water and let it dissolve. This might help. I've been living with repeated batches chiggers for a few weeks now; I hate 'em! Once or twice a week I head into the barrens late at night and field record (audio) the fauna, but, due to the hobby, avoiding the brush and grass is impossible. Is Manumuskin still around? He once recommended a strong potion that can be applied to one's clothing which kills the chiggers on contact (I've seen an entire batch dead on his sock), but, again due to the hobby and concerns about handling my recording equipment with the potentially destructive bug dope, I approach the mites defenseless. :)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Is Manumuskin still around? He once recommended a strong potion that can be applied to one's clothing which kills the chiggers on contact

Perhaps it was Pemethrin, which I discussed in this thread:

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/showthread.php?t=2749

I don't think it will harm your equipment. I have been wearing clothes threated with it while I use my expensive camera gear and never saw any problems. You have to treat the clothes in advance and let it dry. Then it remains effective even after washing them, evidently it bonds to the fibers in the clothes.

It works great for ticks, and I'm sure it helps with chiggers too but not as dramatically as the ticks.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I too have been chigged this summer. All part of the program I guess.
All three of my kids have been nailed. And my wife has given me the appropriate raft of you know what about it. My daughter is the best though. Because she can roll in Poison Ivy and not get it she thought she was invincible. I explained to her that chiggers are not as choosy regarding their hosts. She now has learned.

G.