Christie Moves to Replace Two Members of NJ Pinelands Commission

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
I wonder if they would eventually be able to re-visit the gas pipeline proposal even though it was voted down? My guess is yes. It's a shame so many greedy people get caught up in the hustle and bustle of either politics or just making a dime that the environment becomes so insignificant to them.

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
I remember hearing/reading: "any time there's two or more people involved, it's politics."
Re this thread, following is a letter I've mailed today.
22 May 2014

34 Mayfair Road Southampton, NJ 08088-1015
e-mail: jbornho664@comcast.net

Governor Chris Christie
Office of the Governor
PO Box 001
Trenton, NJ 08625

Dear Governor Christie:
As a registered Republican of many years, a former elected Burlington County Committeeman, and a 25 year member of the Springfield Township Zoning Board of Adjustment, I voted for you in your gubernatorial elections and strongly supported your engaging the teachers’ and municipal workers’ unions in your attempts to bring New Jersey’s fiscal budgets back to reality.
The 20 May 2014 issue of the “Burlington County Times” on its front page carried an article headlined “Christie taps two for Pinelands Commission”. The article goes on to state that you have nominated two candidates to replace commissioners who voted earlier this year to not allow a natural gas line to be built in a protected area of the reserve.
Your actions in this matter are wrong, badly advised, and counter to your duty to respect the laws as written.
You are sending the message that those who voted to uphold the Commission’s responsibility to protect the Pinelands reserve, despite the pressures brought upon them to violate their oaths to preserve the Preserve, will be “rewarded” by being fired and replaced by those who will not resist pressures to violate the Commissions regulations. You have politicized the Commission by your actions, which is directly counter to the founders’ intent to have the Commission an independent and objective body.
Instead of removing commissioners from office for doing what they took an oath to do, you should be supporting their efforts to preserve the Pinelands as intended by those who organized its establishment and wrote the rules that have, so far, mostly kept its treasures intact for us and future generations. Approval of the pipeline as proposed would have been a very damaging precedent.
I cannot understand why you would risk your political capital in trying to subvert the Commission in favor of a commercial operation that does not benefit all the people of the State of New Jersey and which is supportive of a Texas-owned, allegedly foreign-funded power facility that at one time was slated to be shut down. Especially at a time when there are issues of your role in or knowledge of a high schoolish bit of political retribution - the George Washington Bridge lane closure affair - that bring into question your choices and management of your staff.
Being conservative means following the rules, and not bending them for some unfathomable reason that certainly is not in the best interests of all of the people of this state.
Those that may support you in this attempt to “pack the court” are just as derelict in their duty as you.
Sincerely,
John W. Bornholdt
cc: Ms. Dawn Addiego
Ms. Diane Allen
Burlington County Times
bcc: J. R. Juelg
E. de Vito
PPA

Reactions: jokerman and bobpbx

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
no way, Christie is backing up big oil and is willing to sell away our natural resources and heritage to do their bidding? i never saw it coming!

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Dear Governor Christie:

Being conservative means following the rules, and not bending them for some unfathomable reason that certainly is not in the best interests of all of the people of this state.

Better look at who you are sending this too. A consistent rule breaker, liar, and do as I say, not as I do governor.

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
His head is up somewhere. I usually like him for the most part but the more I see of him I dislike him. That ExxonMobil deal is wrong no way should have settled for that. Also I do not agree with him placing his appointees on the committee just so he can please his gas friends. I hope that pipeline never goes in and opens the floodgates to build in the pines.