Clear cut area by Batona Camp

Isotrails

Mar 7, 2021
Philadelphia
There's a large swath of land that has been clear cut on the right side of the Skit Branch going towards Apple Pie Hill from, the Batona camp, I can't figure out why, does anyone have any insight?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It has been there since before 1970 so the reason why has been lost to history. However, most likely it was for deer.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
The rye strip feed plot program started in the 60's and early 70's. That field pops up in a 1970 aerial but is not there in 1963.

It just looks like an odd location for a feed plot though and most were actually strips. Bulltown has the most extensive network strips that I can think of.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bulltown has the most extensive network strips that I can think of.
Greenwood Forest is probably the state's largest network. Don't know for a fact, but....maybe peaslee is close.

1616513900134.png

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Speaking of cuts (or partial cuts), up in Whiting they are cutting obvious firebreaks next to Roosevelt city by 538, but leaving the bigger pines. Hard to describe, but I kind of like it. I think they are about 150 feet wide. Anyone else see them?

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Greenwood Forest is probably the state's largest network. Don't know for a fact, but....maybe peaslee is close.

View attachment 15122
Isn't part of a WMA Bob ? Those plots were established for bird stocking and hunting. The old rye strips were strictly for deer and are more randomly cut. I wish I knew more about the rye strip program. My first deer hunting trips were to the Bulltown strips in 1968.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Isn't part of a WMA Bob ? Those plots were established for bird stocking and hunting. The old rye strips were strictly for deer and are more randomly cut. I wish I knew more about the rye strip program. My first deer hunting trips were to the Bulltown strips in 1968.
Yes, Greenwood Forest WMA. But even if you discount the bird areas (not sure if they all are), there are three dirt roads that have rye strips alongside of them totaling over 6 miles.

PS: I remember someone telling me calling them 'rye' is a misnomer. They are mostly other grasses. I never was interested enough to study them, but they are really mixed with bluestem, orchard grass, lovegrass, etc.

Reactions: dragoncjo

Isotrails

Mar 7, 2021
Philadelphia
Thanks for the great info everyone. I'm sorry I'm late in replying, I can only check this site once in a while.

To clarify I used the term clear cut when I probably meant a clearing. I only ask because it's been opened up more since the last time I went through from about a year.