Climbing the fire tower near Rt 72 in Lebanon State Forest

I was backpacking the Batona Trail this weekend with the Scouts and we ended up eating our lunch at the base of the tower. We wouldn't let the kids climb up past the first landing (that tower is really friggin' tall, it makes Apple Pie Hill's tower look tiny), but has anyone climbed that tower? Does anyone know if the forest service cares about people climbing that tower (from the number of lookouts I've talked with at the top Apple Pie Hill, that tower seems to be perfectly fine to climb)? This is all for future reference, as that stretch of the trail is really nice.

Completely unreleated, from where we camped, we could hear drills being conducted at Fort Dix late into the night (big booms and 5 round bursts from some machine guns), it was pretty neat. We were also passed by a convoy of military vehicles this morning as we backpacked, the guys in the trucks were honking and hanging out the windows waving at the kids, who happily waved back. I think it made their morning. :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jessica and I climbed it in the summer, and it was loaded with wasps. They were everywhere and because of that Jessica did not make it to the top. I guess if they didn't want you up there they would have fenced it in.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BTW, the Lebanon tower is 80 feet tall. Apple Pie Hill is 60.

Guy

firetech792

Scout
Aug 26, 2007
Central NJ
www.sectionb10.org
All state owned fire towers are opened to the public when an observer is on-duty. And most ARE fenced in with a locked gate. I guess Lebanon is not fenced in. And obviously, Apple Pie is not. But most have some sort of locked fence. And all hatches on the bottom of the cabs are always locked. There are 21 towers in the state and all are active during the two fire seasons. (Or during a dry spell).

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
All state owned fire towers are opened to the public when an observer is on-duty. And most ARE fenced in with a locked gate. I guess Lebanon is not fenced in. And obviously, Apple Pie is not. But most have some sort of locked fence. And all hatches on the bottom of the cabs are always locked. There are 21 towers in the state and all are active during the two fire seasons. (Or during a dry spell).

Apple Pie Hill is still in use?

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Yeah, I saw that tower a couple of years ago and was surprised to find out it didn't have a fence. Pretty neat how the stairs go up the middle diagonally on that one. Pretty good view though. Most of the forest fire/police rangers I've talked to are pretty easy going and are glad to strike up a convo about local stuff.

firetech792

Scout
Aug 26, 2007
Central NJ
www.sectionb10.org
Yeah, I saw that tower a couple of years ago and was surprised to find out it didn't have a fence. Pretty neat how the stairs go up the middle diagonally on that one. Pretty good view though. Most of the forest fire/police rangers I've talked to are pretty easy going and are glad to strike up a convo about local stuff.

Its a very lonely job. I work part time in a few Div B towers and its nice when some one comes up to BS. Its a long 8 hours.

Also, just heard a few days ago (unofficially) that there will be one more attempt to fix Apple Pie tower. I don't know if this includes a locked fence or some kind of security. If its destyroyed again (which I think is inevitable), the state is going to dismantle it. Its ashame because that was one of the KEY towers at one time due to its location, in the middle of some of the other towers. It was always staffed with a full-timer up until the last few years. But as some one mentioned above, money is a big problem right now with the the NJFFS. There are many open positions that were never filled. Including "fire observers".
Pete

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Its a very lonely job. I work part time in a few Div B towers and its nice when some one comes up to BS. Its a long 8 hours.

Also, just heard a few days ago that there will be one more attempt to fix Apple Pie tower. I don't know if this includes a locked fence or some kind of security. If its destyroyed again (which I think is inevitable), the state is going to dismantle it. Its ashame because that was one of the KEY towers at one time due to its location, in the middle of some of the other towers. It was always staffed with a full-timer up until the last few years. But as some one mentioned above, money is a big problem right now with the the NJFFS. There are many open positions that were never filled. Including "fire observers".
Pete

Maybe if they created a volunteer program. There are probably a few people who would enjoy the view and the solitude.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Those places are not NJ. I can see someone renting it and a group of individuals arriving there and making them think their life is going to end. Trapped up there with someone hacking away at the base.

Guy