closed to public

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I live fairly close to this location. I had been noticing an increase in cars parked out there. I hadn't been back in there since DeMarco owned it so I took my son Jack with me and we checked it out. I had the video camera, so no still photos.

There was a sign threatening to close it and turn it into a roadkill dump site if people did not follow the rules of NJCF. Jack and I took a walk back there. We found a few teenagers; three girls sunbathing and two guys and a dog swimming. They were friendly. I talked to them a bit. Later, one of the guys came over with the dog and offered to let Jack pet him. Held held him (wet dog) as Jack pet him.

There was some evidence of a campfire but it was pretty old. Not much garbage. I only saw a little bit of ORV abuse. On the way out we ran into another group of teenagers heading back to swim, also friendly. the girl played with Jack a little. Jack is something of a girl magnet. The NJCF probably has safety concerns with kids swimming in the old sand pit. I'll try to upload some video.

Jeff

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Guys, if you really want I can look in to why it was closed, as I volunteer out there. But I've been going out there since early spring before the swimming season and the area had no trash. Every weekend I see about 4-6 cars there and there not young kids. There college kids and older drinking there and swimming. This sunday I saw four cars and decided to go take a peek. I quickly noticed two families and a dog swimming relaxing, I doubt NJCF has a problem with that. However, I noticed several bags of food, empty beer can, bottles, water bottles, food wraps strewn throughout the place....it really was in a bad state from what I saw in early spring. I think there main reasons for putting up the signs is two fold. One if someone drowns out there it is on NJCF a lawsuit is realistic as the property doesn't specifically say no swimming or isn't posted. The second point is is alcohol is being consumed irresponsibility will occur such as destruction of habitat, litter etc. NJCF tolerated the traffic back there for a good month and a half and enough became enough and the signs went up. Also look at the signs next time the preserve is access by permission only....if you want to swim call ahead of time and ask. There are plenty of state parks in the area if you want to enjoy the barrens go pay the 5-10 bucks and swim there...that way the money goes to protecting and maintaining parks. Blantantly ignoring no tresspassing signs is real ignorant and that is what people are doing....a few bad apples basically. One other issue which I'm involved in is that there is a bit of a research project going on at that exact spot and the large amount of weekend traffic is impeding my efforts and others. Also remember they spent about 20 million to buy demarco's bogs(private donations, and grants). They bought it for land conservation and outdoor related things, and rare species....people should be able to obey this its not too much to ask.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I'm off this Friday, does anyone know if Chatsworth Lake (the big lake on 532, not the little pond on the closed road) is closed also? I was going to canoe and fish it, if it's open.
Thanks,
Greg

marblesmike

May 8, 2010
Guys, if you really want I can look in to why it was closed, as I volunteer out there. But I've been going out there since early spring before the swimming season and the area had no trash. Every weekend I see about 4-6 cars there and there not young kids. There college kids and older drinking there and swimming. This sunday I saw four cars and decided to go take a peek. I quickly noticed two families and a dog swimming relaxing, I doubt NJCF has a problem with that. However, I noticed several bags of food, empty beer can, bottles, water bottles, food wraps strewn throughout the place....it really was in a bad state from what I saw in early spring. I think there main reasons for putting up the signs is two fold. One if someone drowns out there it is on NJCF a lawsuit is realistic as the property doesn't specifically say no swimming or isn't posted. The second point is is alcohol is being consumed irresponsibility will occur such as destruction of habitat, litter etc. NJCF tolerated the traffic back there for a good month and a half and enough became enough and the signs went up. Also look at the signs next time the preserve is access by permission only....if you want to swim call ahead of time and ask. There are plenty of state parks in the area if you want to enjoy the barrens go pay the 5-10 bucks and swim there...that way the money goes to protecting and maintaining parks. Blantantly ignoring no tresspassing signs is real ignorant and that is what people are doing....a few bad apples basically. One other issue which I'm involved in is that there is a bit of a research project going on at that exact spot and the large amount of weekend traffic is impeding my efforts and others. Also remember they spent about 20 million to buy demarco's bogs(private donations, and grants). They bought it for land conservation and outdoor related things, and rare species....people should be able to obey this its not too much to ask.

BUMPING this thread, as it answers some of my questions in my first post here. I was wondering if you dragon had any more info about this place. You say something about permission-based entry. If you still volunteer around there I'd like to talk to you about possibly gaining access to the area. I admit my friends and I did our fair share of partying back there, but we always took our trash with us and encouraged others to do so.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Mike, the entire preserve is open to the public. That particular area was getting ALOT of traffic two summers ago. Every weekend there would be 5-10 cars of people dragging coolers back there and the place started to get really filled up with trash. I don't know why they put the signs up. Maybe it was to nip it in the bud, or maybe it was because of fear of getting sued if someone drown back there....I'm not totally sure. I'm not sure they are going to give you access to swim back there becasue that doesn't really fall under the recreational uses for the land to my knowledge. I think if you want to hike around back there, fish, nature watch, etc. nobody is going to give you a hard time. I would suggest giving them a call there are numbers on the signs there. they are all good people there and maybe they can help you out.....at the end of the day I'm just a volunteer out there so I can't pull any strings. They should certainly respect the fact that you are seeking permission and not just trashing the place like may others do. I mean if you want to picnic back there and just hang out responsibly nobody is going to bother you...but good luck getting that spot to yourself, everytime I drive by there is at least 2 cars there.

As for gravel pits and sand quarries they are all over the place in atlantic and cumberland counties.....swimming is always going to be illegal at them but there are some amazing sites down that way....much nicer than this one.

marblesmike

May 8, 2010
Mike, the entire preserve is open to the public. That particular area was getting ALOT of traffic two summers ago. Every weekend there would be 5-10 cars of people dragging coolers back there and the place started to get really filled up with trash. I don't know why they put the signs up. Maybe it was to nip it in the bud, or maybe it was because of fear of getting sued if someone drown back there....I'm not totally sure. I'm not sure they are going to give you access to swim back there becasue that doesn't really fall under the recreational uses for the land to my knowledge. I think if you want to hike around back there, fish, nature watch, etc. nobody is going to give you a hard time. I would suggest giving them a call there are numbers on the signs there. they are all good people there and maybe they can help you out.....at the end of the day I'm just a volunteer out there so I can't pull any strings. They should certainly respect the fact that you are seeking permission and not just trashing the place like may others do. I mean if you want to picnic back there and just hang out responsibly nobody is going to bother you...but good luck getting that spot to yourself, everytime I drive by there is at least 2 cars there.

As for gravel pits and sand quarries they are all over the place in atlantic and cumberland counties.....swimming is always going to be illegal at them but there are some amazing sites down that way....much nicer than this one.

Thank you so much for your help! I appreciate it. I didn't see any numbers on the signs last time I checked them out (a couple months ago maybe), so who should I get in contact with at NJCF, or just call their main number? If I'm just gonna hike back there or walk through it I won't bother bugging anyone, but if it's gonna be something like a picnic or small gathering, I'd like to attempt to get permission before going. I've just heard stories that other people have been caught back there by people claiming to work for the owners and were threatened to have the cops called on them. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm afraid that someone associated with the owners will drive by, see my cars parked behind the guard rail on the side of the road, and call the cops on me. Who knows...maybe I'm just too paranoid :)

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Thank you so much for your help! I appreciate it. I didn't see any numbers on the signs last time I checked them out (a couple months ago maybe), so who should I get in contact with at NJCF, or just call their main number? If I'm just gonna hike back there or walk through it I won't bother bugging anyone, but if it's gonna be something like a picnic or small gathering, I'd like to attempt to get permission before going. I've just heard stories that other people have been caught back there by people claiming to work for the owners and were threatened to have the cops called on them. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm afraid that someone associated with the owners will drive by, see my cars parked behind the guard rail on the side of the road, and call the cops on me. Who knows...maybe I'm just too paranoid :)

Mike I would try maybe contacting some people off here,

http://www.njconservation.org/html/contactus.htm

I can't say one way or the other if people will call the police or conservation officers. All I know is people are still parking there and walking back and as long as your not partying back there I don't think people will get too bent but I can't say for sure. But if someone walks back and people are drinking and swimming they may call...but that would pretty much happen anywhere unless its a designated area for that type of activity.