CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Don't worry, fresh air and sunlight will kill it and if not the Clorox they pipe to the water fountains will.

Well the Clorox part is certainly accurate Ben. All public water systems have to pretreat raw water with sodium hypochlorite (bleach). Most also add potassium permangenate to the systems to keep the mains from corroding on the inside. Unfortunately, neither substance does much for human plumbing. :eek:
I love my untreated Cohansey well water sparking clean right from the ground. Hold the bleach please. :)

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
Reputable and kill I guess are debatable but the current belief seems to be sunlight shortens virus lifetime on surfaces.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
the current belief seems to be sunlight shortens virus lifetime on surfaces.

True enough, but, there is always a but. It is the UVC wave length that takes out viruses; medical facilities, such as hospitals, use it for disinfecting stuff. Juries out on if it kills corvid19. Here is the but; it can be dangerous if used incorrectly on humanoids. I have a small one instead of spraying electrical devices

noboat

Explorer
Feb 1, 2010
Waterford Works
I been killing it you 2 months

Attachments

• 1588199956337.png
    1588199956337.png
    724.4 KB · Views: 269

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Reputable and kill I guess are debatable but the current belief seems to be sunlight shortens virus lifetime on surfaces.

There is a theory that the DHS put out (and why the DHS instead of the CDC or WHO but whatever) that a combination of sunlight, high humidity, and temperature MAY kill the virus however it's just a theory right now. It hasn't been peer reviewed or tested extensively yet.

Saying "sunlight kills the virus" is misleading. If you're out in a park and someone coughs on you, I don't care how sunny it is, you can catch the virus. People think "oh, it's sunny out, I'm totally safe" and no, you're not.

HankG

Scout
Dec 14, 2019
where i am
There is a theory that the DHS put out (and why the DHS instead of the CDC or WHO but whatever) that a combination of sunlight, high humidity, and temperature MAY kill the virus however it's just a theory right now. It hasn't been peer reviewed or tested extensively yet.

Saying "sunlight kills the virus" is misleading. If you're out in a park and someone coughs on you, I don't care how sunny it is, you can catch the virus. People think "oh, it's sunny out, I'm totally safe" and no, you're not.

I'm not suggesting that you are any safer outside in the sun in the event that someone with the virus coughs in your face. Let's not be silly now....

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com

HankG

Scout
Dec 14, 2019
where i am
Let me know when that paper gets peer reviewed. Until then it's just someone's hypothesis.

You are misusing the terminology. A scientific hypothesis doesn't just become a theory when it's peer-reviewed. Besides, the paper presents hard data that displays unmistakable trends...trends that are echoed in a good number of other papers...but sure, you'll see these studies pass peer-review in the very near future..count on it....

Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe

HankG

Scout
Dec 14, 2019
where i am
I mean, the sun emits UV radiation. UV radiation kills organisms.... The novel coronavirus is an organism..... Does anyone really need to see a peer-reviewed study to understand this? Sunlight kills other coronaviruses, and viruses in general..... This is not in dispute...

Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe

HankG

Scout
Dec 14, 2019
where i am
It is a very interesting issue....

but viruses are comprised of genetic material which they reproduce, and they share with all life certain protein structures.... Yes, they are strangely unique, but alive nonetheless...

Status
Not open for further replies.