Closing West Mill Road

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
Was on my way to Hammonton tonight and went out Chew Rd to 206. Made the right and had to turn around to be sure what I saw. Pics below, 2 LARGE I-beams on either side of West Mill. Looks like the beginning gate?
west mill.JPG west mill 2.JPG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I guess the state must have lost that fight. That sure is a major fiasco there.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The facts are sketchy from my point of view. Apparently, the township of Hammonton owned the road and has deeded it to the owner of Paradise Lakes. Either the state was fighting him in court to keep access to it or something else was going on. One day we all here will learn the truth.

Reactions: Piney4life

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
If Hammonton gave him the road it would have been approved by the town council. You could call the town hall or read through the minutes of the meetings.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
You'd think He'd have to put the gate at his property line.He' will actually be cutting off access to state land.Even the state won't be able to access it most likely.
His property has never intersected West Mill Road. Some how he's claiming it as his. Whether the town or state "gave" it to him. It's a confusing story and I have been following this for weeks and it's still confusing

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
This the pic posted June 1 on the facebook jersey pine barrens group. Fast turn around to today.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170617-104334.png
    Screenshot_20170617-104334.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 541

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is the sign I put up with piney4life and others.

The facts are that his property NEVER crossed West Mill Road. Below is the property corner placed there in 1898 which is just EAST or South of West Mill Road. However, if the township of Hammonton gave him the road then that is a battle the state must fight which I hear they have been.

r98_1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: smoke_jumper
Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
I will be interested in finding out the facts on this one. He closed that road for Beardfest (caution tape and a cheap wooden sign) a few weeks ago and then reopened it after Beardfest. It's possible the gate may be just for closing during festivals. I'm sure we will all know one way or another soon.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I will be interested in finding out the facts on this one. He closed that road for Beardfest (caution tape and a cheap wooden sign) a few weeks ago and then reopened it after Beardfest. It's possible the gate may be just for closing during festivals. I'm sure we will all know one way or another soon.

I may be wrong but I suspect he or the state closed the road for the event because people were using their GPS and just driving down there trying to get to the event. I am hearing someone got stuck so they did not want that to happen again. Remember, I am just hearing this. I also hear people each year try to sneak in so it may also have been an attempt to stop that. I believe some were caught this year also.

The true facts will eventually come out.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Even if it's temporary he would need permission to sink I beams on state property.