coffin and hay glassworks

mike

Apr 23, 2012
Does anyone on this site have any plat maps or any kind of old maps of winslow
I really want to know where houses once stood and where the glassworks was
I know the sign is there but it would really help to see photos or see it on a map of some
Kind there is a hexamer map but it is too small anyingo would help so much
I am an antique bottle collector and would love to do some digging I've already found tons of old
Glass slag I guess from coffin and hay glassworks would love to talk further

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
So generally folks here don't like to hear about people digging up historical sites to find things for their own personal collection. I'd recommend keeping that quiet if I were you.

mike

Apr 23, 2012
Well just to be clear I did not dig on a historical site what I found was on my property
I totally respect all historical sites and would never disturb a site for my own
Collection

mike

Apr 23, 2012
Hey stephy do u ever do any digging in Waterford
I used to dig mainly privies in Michigan but hard to get permission here
Waterford is interesting very old like winslow I know there has to be dumps around
But still everywhere I go I need permission and most say no but I keep looking
That's the funnest part I just really want to find some bottles

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Thanks for the link . I just found an amazingly detailed 1875 map of the Lucas Paint and Colorworks in Gibbsboro.
I grew up there and remember when the factory was still cranking out paint and employing hundreds of people.

My Grandpaps on my dad's side worked at Lucas paint for a number of years. I have a tough time remembering this but I recall some amount of awards and such for his performance there or something regarding process. He has been gone a spell and I just can't remember. I will speak to my dad on it. He was one of the hundreds of people. Any of your kin grace it's doors?
That would be cool.

g.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Hey stephy do u ever do any digging in Waterford
I used to dig mainly privies in Michigan but hard to get permission here
Waterford is interesting very old like winslow I know there has to be dumps around
But still everywhere I go I need permission and most say no but I keep looking
That's the funnest part I just really want to find some bottles

Where in Waterford and what exactly is your object interest? (bottles?)
There is nothing at the Waterford Glassworks for you so whereabouts?

Stephy618

Apr 18, 2010
Waterford Works NJ
Hey Mike, no I don't do any digging but I do love finding out about any old villages, towns etc. And its kind of funny, I have lived here all my life and I have never knew of or heard of Winslow Glass Works. Waterford Glassworks Batsto Bulltown those I have heard of. But like someone else has posted it may be really hard to find a place where it is okay to dig. Most places are historical or private property but I wish you luck on the hunt!

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Any of your kin grace it's doors?
That would be cool. g.
No but a few of my friends' fathers worked there. It was a thriving industrial plant right up until Sherwin Williams pulled the plug around 1978.
The remnant pollution in certain parts of town has resulted in the sleepy little hamlet hosting more than one federal Superfund site. Lucas owned large pieces of Gibbsboro and some of Lindenwold at one time and his holdings became Sherwin Williams' holdings when they purchased the plant.
Some of those tracts became dumping grounds and waste storage and conversion sites that remain hot today. Those sites await or are currently undergoing remediation.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Hey Mike, I grew up near the Jackson Glass Works in Atco. As a kid we use to dig up all kinds of things from bottles and slag glass to old tools in our back yard. That was one of the things really kept me interested in the local history.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
No but a few of my friends' fathers worked there. It was a thriving industrial plant right up until Sherwin Williams pulled the plug around 1978.
Lucas owned large pieces of Gibbsboro and some of Lindenwold at one time and his holdings became Sherwin Williams' holdings when they purchased the plant.

Just got to this as I was not able to talk to dad for a few days (Illness)
Yes, my Grandfather, Charles Haig Mossop, worked at LUCAS/SHERWINN WILLIAMS.
Without being dead on, he retired around my age of 4 or so. (1974)
I found a neat little article online about the plant history and it reads as closing in 1978 so I guess maybe he saw the forest for the trees and called it done. He would have been 65 or so at the time anyway.
And yeah, according to that same article, for all the jobs and such it created and revolved around it, that place left some very nasty stuff behind. Funny how that works huh?
Oh... as a lad all those hanging awards and such that I saw, my dad said were numerous "Safety Awards" my Grandfather
acheived as Shop Steward over the years. So no, he didn't facilitate any actual manufacturing processes but he was a safety concious guy who implemented safey into the work environment of his men which is cool I guess.
There you go. thats about it. Had I ever known that this inquisitive time in my life would come, I would have pumped his brain for all I could and probably could have gotten some really cool stuff to put on paper. Oh well.

g.

mike

Apr 23, 2012
Hey Mike, I grew up near the Jackson Glass Works in Atco. As a kid we use to dig up all kinds of things from bottles and slag glass to old tools in our back yard. That was one of the things really kept me interested in the local history.
Where was the Jackson glassworks I've never heard of it or was it located off Jackson road either by
a school or they built a school on the site where it used to be the old glassworks are fascinating
to me I started collecting bottles when I was a kid also just digging through old rusty metal
finding all kinds of stuff. (Real safe) for me,
searching and digging is the funnest part still today

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Charles Haig Mossop...........Do you know what Department your Grandfather work in?

Tis a good inquiry. That to which I do not have an answer to yet I will try to get one.
You see, basically all my kin are underground nowadays. From that particular part of the clan, my dad is about it, well then there's me (a sad state of affairs my forefathers are in that I carry on the family name) His memory on specifics is a little rough. He isn't feeling well right now but I should be able to get that out of him. Will advise.

g.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Tis a good inquiry. That to which I do not have an answer to yet I will try to get one.
You see, basically all my kin are underground nowadays. From that particular part of the clan, my dad is about it, well then there's me (a sad state of affairs my forefathers are in that I carry on the family name) His memory on specifics is a little rough. He isn't feeling well right now but I should be able to get that out of him. Will advise.

g.
No rush.Hope your dad is feeling better soon

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Yes, Jackson glass works was just off of Jackson Road not far from the firehouse. Its all private property now. The house I grew up in is very close to there and I think there was a previous house there, or at least an out building, around the time of the glass works. We found an old foundation in the yard and even had a sink hole that my father felt was an old well that we just kept filling in.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
No rush.Hope your dad is feeling better soon

Thanks for the kind words dogg. It has been a long road.
Today I actually had my dad lucid enough to actually talk about some things. There is a very strange bit of confusion for me.
My dad did not recall the steps leading to my granfather's final position but he said he started there driving "Baker Trucks" in the plant, basically toting carts of paint or other products to and from where they were needed.
Here is the freaky twist that maybe "someone" can shed some light on. Now, my dad has gotten some time frames of his life quite out of order lately, even regressing, but this one is too impossible for him to even have gotten confused about or crossed up.
My dad said to me specifically... "All they really were, was just a rolling battery that pulled carts and trailors"
O.K. gives me a start, so I go on the hunt. Sure enough, Baker Electric trucks existed... and unless I am missing something in a little bit of web looking, they ceased to be made by the company in the very early 1900"s!!!
So I says to myself, "Self, maybe they were still used as workhorses long after they were out of production",
"Maybe, they remained a practical little mule in a factory environment for transport".
Problem is, this would have been decades later. That seems a bit farfetched to me. I see these online as treasured antique auto collectables. (Go figure, Jay Leno has a working one)
Could (A) These things actually have remained in use that long, (B) Another company or manner of plant transport was used and because it was employed for so long, the name "Baker Truck" just stuck? Maybe even my own grandfather just using the "factory term" since that is what they called them. (Like today it might be an electric forklift toting stuff around),
or (C) my dad just be way off base. This last still has me perplexed.
Anyway, a little more of a tidbit for you as asked dogg, and it is nice to have dad talking more. I try to help keep his mind active.
so in the end, It is kind of a neat little thing to ponder, or study on, but for your direct question... for now that is all I got about Charles Haig Mossop and the paint works. I now know that whatever it was, a Baker, a forktruck, a Willie's Jeep, or GTO Judge, my grandpop started his career at the paint works driving it around in the warehouse, right from the bottom and worked his way up.

g.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
George-

You present a very good query. My guess would be (B). Brand names often become the standard moniker for an item. A tissue is predominately a "Kleenex", an adhesive bandage, a "Band-Aid", etc. We have terms in my industry (printing) that follow the same pattern. You possibly hit it, maybe a "Baker Truck" was just the term for the plant transport used during that time, because, it was employed in the past.

John-